Grog Dorosh!

SirReal

Originally posted by SirReal:

Grog Dorosh, canadiansoldiers.com isn't available, and I need info on that Errol Flynn lookalike sniper. Can you point me in the right direction, please? (Please excuse, this'll be crossposted somewhat).

/SirReal

Try www.calgaryhighlanders.com and hit the detailed history link, then the scout and sniper link...

Originally posted by SirReal:

Is there more information available on Harold Marshall on the web? Some googling didn't turn up much. Specifically, I'd like to know when he was born, and when he joined the Highlanders.

/SirReal

So would I.

I would recommend you email the regimental museum at highrs@nucleus.com and talk to Barry Agnew, the curator. I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say as well! I don't recall if there was a file on Sgt Marshall or not in the archives but I imagine there must be. He lived a long and healthy life after the war.

I was driving my jeep on a sunny afternoon a few summers back; stopped at a wine-making store to buy some old looking bottles for a re-enactment display. When I came out, a guy a few years older than me was admiring my jeep. We got to talking and it turned out it was Harold Marshall's son. He was quite proud of his dad - and what a great photo it was, of course. Small world...

marshall.jpg

That picture has been published in the two-volume reader's digest series "The Canadians at War". If I had it beside me I could see if it has any info on Harold Marshall, since the books have a lot of biographical info (I don't know what people think of them otherwise, but they do have some cool maps).

Well, I got a reply, although not what I wanted...

Unfortunately our archives does not have the information you requested

regarding Sgt. Harold A. Marshall. Our database only indicates that his

regimental number was M10546 and that he was wounded on December 15, 1944.

You may be able to get further information from the National Archives of

Canada in Ottawa. Their website with information on how to order military

records is: http://www.archives.ca/02/020203_e.html

Thank you for your interest in the Calgary Highlanders Museum & Archives

According to National Archives webpage, since I'm not a Canadian citizen, I don't have a snowballs chance in Berli's rear end of getting those documents.

/SirReal