XP Temp Solution!!!

Let me preface this with...it works for me...

I, like many of you, have been having problems with WinXP and CM. After going through nearly every driver, messing with the Guru3d Nvidia Tweak program, and finally all the settings I could play with from within the actual videocard settings I think I've got a temporary solution!

I have a Geforce3 with the 21.83 WHQL drivers installed.

Set the video card to the Quincunx FSAA setting.

Launch the game and voila...it runs fine, but when you go back from any 3d screen to a 2d screen the text looks terrible, or disappears totally....However if you press ALT-TAB the white text returns and the problem seems to disappear...until the next time...

SO....there is a solution to live with. I think it's fine for now. I hope nvidia can straighten this out in some way, and I certainly hope BTS can get a more elegent work around going before CMBB, but so that they can hurry up with my most anticipated game...I can live with this solution, and if it works for you....I hope you can as well.

Actually, we've posted this temporary solution before several times in many threads (primarily for Win2K, but XP is similar driver-wise in most regards). It seems to work under most circumstances and is workable until NVidia addresses this minor bug (that's very irritating for CM players). However some Nvidia owners running XP claim that this doesn't work for them.

I believe any of the 'forced' FSAA modes should work and no particular FSAA mode is necessary (though 2X or Quincux has a lower performance hit than 4X).

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

I have a brand new 2 Mgh Dell running XP with CM and a Nvidia 64 meg Geforce card. I also have the 3D - 2d graphics problem. I still have the original drivers sent by Dell. However, I use the "Window" key between the Ctrl and Alt keys to minimize the CM screen and then reopen it and it is fine in 2D. It is the same procedure I had to use with a 32 meg NVidia GeForce on Windows NT at work. I have had no other conflict problems. I have used Adobe Photoshop to color in some of the "white" graphic messages such as "Which Floor" and "Located in". By changing from white to a slight orange, there is no fuzziness in the 3D playing screen. I have had no crashes under XP and I have 9 PBEM games going with constant daily turns.