Churchill I tank question

I did a search for this question and did not find anything so I hope you can answer this question. The Churchill I tank has listed as its armaments as 40mm + 75mm. The little pictures of its armament shows a cannon and a machine gun. I heard about the early Churchills with a bow mounted gun but I don't see it registed when it fires a round. So I want to know does this tank have two cannons and is it represented in the game correctly?

I recall Matt saying that the Churchill mkI polygon was ready to go and if only they had had enough room to squeeze one more vehicle onto the CD it would've made it in. But they didn't, so it didn't.

But it should work like a proper Mk I though it doesn't look like one. Does anyone recall ever seeing the Churchill MkI in the game ever firing its 75mm gun much off-axis to how the hull was pointing?

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by SpitfireXI:

So I want to know does this tank have two cannons and is it represented in the game correctly?

When first going into action in Tunisia (with the North Irish Horse)it confirmed, what we had learned in firing exercises in the UK, that the hull mounted howitzer was all but useless. Fortunately, the Regiment only had six of them, the remaining fifty-four were Mark IIIs.This was later rectified with the arrival of the CS version with the 2-pdr in the hull and the howitzer mounted in the turret, however, it was too late, as the Na75s had been delivered, rarely were they deployed in Italy.

Here's an extract from my narrative:

"A few days later, she and several other Churchills were loaded aboard War Flats heading for the AFV Firing Ranges located near Castle Martin, on the coast of South Wales.

At the conclusion of the firing practices, each Troop Leader was asked the reaction of their turret crews to the weaponry. Two major criticisms were voiced. One, although the crews which had come from Northern Ireland were familiar with the 2-pdr gun, the responsibility to also load the BESA machine-gun, in addition to their other duties, was felt to be excessive. Two, the value of the 3-inch bow mounted howitzer, with its limited field of view, appeared to be minimal, particularly as it required a commander to manouevre his tank into a precise firing position, not the easiest of tasks when battened down. Additionally, when in a hull-down defensive position registering a hit, even on the range's stationary targets, proved to be impossible. These comments, together with some of less importance, were passed on to the CO of 34th Army Tank Brigade."

I just did a little test and the Churchill I bow 75mm gun does indeed only fire over the forward arc as it should, even though the turret gun firing sequence is shown. Much over 20 degrees(?) to the right or left and the tank switches to turret mg and 2 pdr shot.

I have yet to see the 2 pdr/75mm combo work together like the M3 Lee sometimes appears to.