New CMAK Companion Book now available and shipping!!!!!

I got the book yesterday and couldn't stop to read. It's great!! Many thanks to Tom for his hard and successful work.

I searched for a long time to find some information on small unit behaviour. But as the author said on the first pages most of the books look at the strategic level of operation. Sometimes you find some anecdotes but they are rare and not well sorted. So this book gives you tons of stories from a tactical point of view.

My advice is: Buy it!!!

Jens

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear dw:

There are eight maps in the companion, one for each of the theaters covered in the book:

--Italian Africa (6/40-2/41),

--Rommel's Africa (2/41-4/41,

--Crete (5/41)

--Rommel's Africa, Cont'd (6/41-11/42),

--Northwest Africa (11/42-5/43),

--Sicily (7/43-8/43),

--Southern Italy (10/43-5/44), and

--Northern Italy (6/44-4/45).

Tom Reiter

• 2 months later...

Dear Jean Lafitte:

I can't say that I found a single really good book that covered the entire North African Campaign, but some suggestions for particular campaigns are:

1) the Official New Zealand Histories--these are excellent works covering particular campaigns with a focus on New Zealand's role. In the US they are hard to find in hard copy, but check www.nzetc.org for e-text. Highly recommended!

2) Both of the Alamein books used in the companion (by Latimer and Bierman & Smith) are good, but focus on the Alamein campaign.

3) Rick Atkinson's book ARMY AT DAWN, not included in the companion, is good coverage of the campaign in NW Africa.

4) Desert War by Alan Moorehead is a great account of the early days in the desert, including descriptions of fighting with the Italians in East Africa, etc. But it is more a journalist's account than a formal history of particular campaigns. Probably no other book I read gave a better sense of what it must have been like to participate in the desert war--fascinating read.

That's it--good luck!

Tom