Map Designers

Great site Frenchy. I found I was reading the map well - surprisingly well - and then I saw it was re-done by the Ordnance Survey. I have real modern French and Spanish maps and the differences are notable.

It put me in mind that a lot of people may not be familiar with various countries cartographic symbols which must lessen the value of the maps to them. Do you have any symbol = ? sheets?

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

Great site Frenchy. I found I was reading the map well - surprisingly well - and then I saw it was re-done by the Ordnance Survey. I have real modern French and Spanish maps and the differences are notable.

It put me in mind that a lot of people may not be familiar with various countries cartographic symbols which must lessen the value of the maps to them. Do you have any symbol = ? sheets?

Diesel,

These are original reproductions as you see, by the Ordnance Dept. dated Dec 1944, reproduced from French 1939 maps.

These maps are the ones used in combat in 1945. Overlays were attached and then copied for daily reports. The maps are referenced to in many of the official documents that I have posted on-line.

I do have a symbol, reference sheet that will be scanned last since it is attached to the Saareguimines section maps. Those are the last to be done.

I do have modern Michelin maps of some of the combat areas of the 70th already posted.

I'll send you under separate email a graphic of the sections that will be posted.

Thanks Frenchy!

As an aside only, I fired up CMAK for the first time in ages to play with the scenario editor / map-making module after looking at some maps.

It struck me that there was some lag or a delay occuring in the interface building terrain, or at least greater lag than what I recall from BB, and also when exploring the map in the 3-d view there was quite a bit of delay and "jerkiness" flying around the map I was making.

Anyone notice something simaler, or is it time for me to get serious tuning up my PC?

CM:AK is a jump up from CM:BB in performance terms, and it was noticeable. I upgraded by graphics card to play CM:BB and then found it was clunky for CM:AK.

I upgraded to an Athlon64 3500+ with 2GB RAM and a pair of 250GB SATA drives, and magically the problem disappeared. I now get lag on 8km x 4km maps with 80,000 points of units on (which is vexing because that's what I'm playing) but anything below 4km x 4km is groovy.

Go crazy and spend a couple of thousand of your Merkun Dohlars on a rig of death and just hope the missus don't find out.

Hehee! She handles the bills, I'd be busted on the next bank statement.

I've got a fairly decent machine, 3.2ghz, 2gb Corsair RAM, a 6800GT card... but it's a Dell and right out of the box had all sorts of crap loaded on it. I need to go through and kill off some of the crap it loads, or maybe lay a fresh XP install down. ...somefink.

I reckon so. Sounds like a goodly rig, so go through and clean out all the 'freebie offers' - recent systems I've cleaned have had Tiscali, AOL, BTOpenworld, and 'free' antivirus. Get some new drivers and reinstall DirectX.

Lose the Norton/McAfee and pick up AVG Free and Kerio firewall. Squish the feck out of IE and pick up Firefox.

Or maybe you shouldn't have bought an Intel. ;):D

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Yep... I've tried Firefox and it does what I need for a browser. How would I squish the feck out of IE? Just go through the uninstall MS software component wizard?

It's a tough one, because IE and Explorer have so many cuddly liaisons. The only answer is to keep using the windows update website to fix IE and then to avoid using it for anything. I can't think of any clever answers for that, I'm afraid.

What about firewall and antivirus? That machine should run like farmhouse slurry off a shovel if I'm not mistaken.

Norton Internet Security suite, plus a couple different spyware / adware apps... I'm at the office now and going off memory.

Some things it runs fine, just fast as all hell. Other things... ugghhh. Rome Total War for example, it's amazing. Dangerous Waters - problems, problems.

Thanks for the advice.

Gahh. Norton and SP2 are an unhealthy mix.

If you can bin Norton then things will improve - sad that 2 of the biggest software companies in the world can't talk to each other, but there we go.

Pick up AVG Free from downloads.com and Kerio Firewall from Kerio's website.

If you're running an Nvidia graphics card, definitely get the latest from NVidia.

As for the advice, my invoice will be in the post just as soon as I can guess your address. ;)

Did you pick XP Pro or (*gag*) XP Home?

• 2 weeks later...