CM & WIN 2K

Hello,

I am having a minor problem with WIN2K and CM. After upgrading my OS to WIN2K the barrels on some machine guns and tanks are solid white!!! Has anyone else had any problems with this??? Is there a cure or fix? Please let me know. The game operates fine... I just have white barrels.....

Thank,

Spike Out!

I have a voodoo 5500 viseo card w/ the latest drivers... also have directx 8.0 The whit barrels happen all the time :( which is okay if i am playing a snowy battle smile.gif but look stupis in the summer one. I am really just glad that CM operates correctly and i do not have any major problems with it! But i would like to resolve the "white barrel" issue!!!

Thanks a lot,

Spike Out!

Spike,

I have the V5 and use Win2K and also started seeing this a while back. I was getting the white barrel on the 50-caliber and a couple of other items, can't recall right now. Anyway, I eventually deleted all of my files in my \bmp folder and copied the original bmps back to that folder and added only a few mod packs and have not seen the problem since.

This seems to be related to the "white out" problem that some Voodoo 3/4/5 series owners reported earlier. I have no idea if the following drivers are any newer than what you already have. They were supposedly released a little while after 3dfx went out of business:

x3dfx (click on "drivers" on the left side and then select your card and OS from the following screen):

http://www.x3dfx.com/

Otherwise brooktrout's recommendation should be used. I'm not sure what it is about texture sizes/numbers, but the Voodoo drivers have had problems with this for awhile.

Gen-x87 what version of the Nvidia drivers are you using ? Some people have had problems with the newer versions, while others haven't (they recommend v. 6.50). You'll probably need to select "Force antialiasing in all applications" to stabilize the text in CM. If you haven't already installed it, I'd suggest installing DirectX 8.0a (there is a separate version for Win2K).

While Win2K is much more stable than Win98 it needs more memory and it may have an adverse effect on the speed of some games. Some people haven't had any problems with Win2K while others aren't convinced it is a good environment for gaming.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Some people haven't had any problems with Win2K while others aren't convinced it is a good environment for gaming.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And for the tiny, tiny bit it's worth, some of us are convinced Win2K is a much better environment for gaming, as long as you have the memory (and RAM is cheap). Memory management, VM paging, and caching is dramatically better.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

[QB]Gen-x87 what version of the Nvidia drivers are you using ? Some people have had problems with the newer versions, while others haven't (they recommend v. 6.50). You'll probably need to select "Force antialiasing in all applications" to stabilize the text in CM. If you haven't already installed it, I'd suggest installing DirectX 8.0a QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have DirectX 8.0a installed, and the 6.50 Nvidia drivers as well. Win2k SP1, VIA Hotfix, etc. The game starts off ok, but as soon as I enter my password to go to the first turn, it starts dropping pixels and artifacts appear all over. Then when I try to save my turn, the text boxes are all blacked out and I can't tell what I am saving. Any suggestions?

Guest ckoharik

I'm running Win2K SP1 w/ GeForce 2MX (latest drivers) at 1600x1200 and am experiencing no problems.

--I didn't write this...and I was never here.--

geekender - Are you overclocking your GeForce at all ? While overclocking may work with other apps or games, CM seems to be a bit sensitive to it and often you may end up with a lockup of the game. Dropping pixels and artifacts usually sounds like a video memory problem, however drivers can be the cause too. Do you see this problem in any other DirectX game ?

You may want to try another version of the Detonator drivers (newer or older) to see if this problem goes away. You may also want to check out your video card to make sure that the GPU heatsink fan is spinning and that there's decent airflow around the video card. It's possible that some video memory problems won't show themselves until you get into a 3D game or something else that taxes the memory of the video card to a fuller extent.

Win2K is a great environment and a definite improvement over Win9x/ME. The biggest problems for gamers is the stability of drivers provided for Win2K. Otherwise it is a much better environment if you have the hardware to run it (which most gamers usually will).

I am not overclocking the video card at all. (Asus 7100, Geforce MX 32Mb) However, it does not have a fan(one does not come with the board) I have an extra 80mm intake fan on the case though. I am using version 6.50 of the Nvidia Reference Drivers. Is there a more stable version to use?

Like I said, it does not do this in Unreal Tournament, CounterStrike, or other graphic intensive games.

Apparently some of the GeForce2MX boards don't come with a GPU fan (some do).

ACPI can be problematic if the motherboard's BIOS implemantation of it is flaky. I have run into some motherboards where if ACPI is enabled you can't install Win2K completely. However ACPI is the configuration protocol that Win2K prefers and since you've been able to install Win2K then I wouldn't think your board's implemantation of it is that bad.

I'm not sure which version of the Detonator drivers to recommend to you. I've yet to set up a Win2K box with a GeForce in it myself. Most people seemed to have had problems with any of the newer drivers above 6.50 (some of your other games may develop glitches), but they've worked for some people. You may want to try some of the 7.xx series Beta drivers (they're up to 11.xx series now - skipping 8 & 9) and see if they work well for you. In the past ASUS NVidia-based boards have been fairly picky about the drivers used with them. Often you had to use an ASUS provided driver rather than a NVidia Reference driver. That may be the case here.

The latest "Released" driver from ASUS (based on 6.18, near the bottom of the V7100 GeForceMX drivers):

http://www.asus.com/Products/Addon/Vga/asuse/enthusiast_drv.htm

I don't think that ASUS does any tweaking to their drivers supplied by NVidia, other than to add their logo and sometimes customize a control panel or two with various options.

Since your other games don't exhibit any problems, then it shouldn't be a hardware problem as far as I know or you would see somewhat similar problems in those games too.

I would stick with the 6.50 nVidia drivers, they're the only things which work reliably in CM with my Win2K boxes (3 different mobos, 3 different vid cards).

Sadly, the newer drivers are much better for everything else, often by a long shot, but CM just can't hang with them. First time in my life I've sacrificed driver quality for a game.

If you want to try the full range of drivers, check here:

http://www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com/Drivers.htm

nVidia drivers seem to be very good about cleanly installing different versions on top of each other, just always answer Yes to overwrite newer stuff with older stuff (otherwise you'll end up with a weird mix of old and new). Also sometimes I'll delete all the OEM*.INF files out of the Windows INF directory before starting -- sometimes Win2K will happily announce it's found a better driver than the one I want to use...

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: JMcGuire ]

Guest ckoharik

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geekender:

I have heard that ACPI can cause problems in Win2k, would anyone know anything about this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After recently building an upgrade box (T-bird 1.33GHz, Soyo K7ADA, yada yada yada) the only problem I have with 2K and APCI is that it won't actually turn the power off. It just hangs with a black screen.