iMac problem w/CM

I tried to search for this problem on the forum, but couldn't find anything.

I'm getting a strange problem trying to play CM on a Rev C 333 G3 iMac--when starting a battle everything goes ok until I get to the "loading 3D graphics" screen. Eventually you can hear birds chirping and artillery rumbling but the scenario never fully loads and the loading screen (w/the flags) never goes away.

Any ideas on what's causing this? :confused:

Yes, I've tried setting the screen resolution to 640x480. The game runs just fine on my hot-rodded 8600 and on my iBook(!).

What OS are you running ? Have you updated the ATI drivers and/or are you using the OpenGL extension that comes with the 1.12 patch (OpenGL 1.2.1) ? If you change the desktop resolution have you deleted the preferences file too ? Have you applied any graphic mods to your copy of CM on the iMac or are you using the default textures ?

Scroll'n half ( :D ) is right about the Open GL update.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I'm getting a strange problem trying to play CM on a Rev C 333 G3 iMac- <hr></blockquote>

Are you sure you don't have a Rev D iMac? Rev C's are 266 mhz.

Picky, beer-fueled post. Please ignore and move along.

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

What OS are you running ? Have you updated the ATI drivers and/or are you using the OpenGL extension that comes with the 1.12 patch (OpenGL 1.2.1) ? If you change the desktop resolution have you deleted the preferences file too ? Have you applied any graphic mods to your copy of CM on the iMac or are you using the default textures ?<hr></blockquote>

Have not updated the ATI drivers--maybe that's the reason, as the cheesy ATI card in the iBook runs CM just fine, but of course it's running OS 9, not 8.6 as with the iMac.

Thanks, this gives me something to start with.

smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Scroll'n half ( :D ) is right about the Open GL update.

Are you sure you don't have a Rev D iMac? Rev C's are 266 mhz.

Picky, beer-fueled post. Please ignore and move along.

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

Hey, mine was a beer-fueled post, too! :D

I always thought that this machine was a Rev C iMac, as it's the last of the original style. I could be wrong, as iMac taxonomy is not my strong point.

A quick to tell apart the original tray loader iMacs is this:

Rev A (Original Bondi Blue):233 mhz, no microphone hole above screen, no notch on mouse button, metal cover on side covering mezzanine slot.

Rev B (Still Bondi Blue color):All same as above except for built in microphone above screen. Bigger drive & better video card were a few of the internal differences.

Rev C (Five colors):266 mhz, mezzanine slot gone. Finger notch on mouse button (To help find which way is up on hockeypuck) Bigger drive & better video card + faster CPU were other differences.

Rev D (Five colors):333 mhz. Last of the tray loader iMacs, last iMac with removable (Thus upgradeable) CPU card. CPU speed was the main difference from th Rev C model.

All tray loader iMacs have a 66mhz motherboard clock speed.

The 350mhz Ruby & Indigo models were the next in line, the first slot loaders, along with the first DV model the 400mhz Graphite. - All have 8Mb of video RAM & faster video cards, one piece motherboards at 100mhz with integral CPU & PC100 memory replacing the older 144pin SO-DIMMs of the older iMacs.

I wish Apple would put a 32mb Radeon on the current generation 700mhz iMacs & bump the motherboards up to 133mhz & the PC133 standard. That would be a sweet set up.

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

A quick to tell apart the original tray loader iMacs is this:

Rev A (Original Bondi Blue):233 mhz, no microphone hole above screen, no notch on mouse button, metal cover on side covering mezzanine slot.

Rev B (Still Bondi Blue color):All same as above except for built in microphone above screen. Bigger drive & better video card were a few of the internal differences.

Rev C (Five colors):266 mhz, mezzanine slot gone. Finger notch on mouse button (To help find which way is up on hockeypuck) Bigger drive & better video card + faster CPU were other differences.

Rev D (Five colors):333 mhz. Last of the tray loader iMacs, last iMac with removable (Thus upgradeable) CPU card. CPU speed was the main difference from th Rev C model.

All tray loader iMacs have a 66mhz motherboard clock speed.

The 350mhz Ruby & Indigo models were the next in line, the first slot loaders, along with the first DV model the 400mhz Graphite. - All have 8Mb of video RAM & faster video cards, one piece motherboards at 100mhz with integral CPU & PC100 memory replacing the older 144pin SO-DIMMs of the older iMacs.

I wish Apple would put a 32mb Radeon on the current generation 700mhz iMacs & bump the motherboards up to 133mhz & the PC133 standard. That would be a sweet set up.

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

Ah, thanks! It's the wife's computer, I'm just trying to get CM to run so my brother and I can drink beer and play two-player CM over my home network. I guess it is a Rev D, then. For some reason I thought they stopped at Rev C. Shows what I know.

Yeah, I put a Radeon in my 8600, and it works great. Would be nice to have that in an iMac would be nice. It's still a great little computer and I don't think you can beat the performance for the price. I just talked a co-worker into buying one and turning away from the PC Dark Side...

smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Yeah, I put a Radeon in my 8600, and it works great. <hr></blockquote>

That is a set up I'd like, I've been toying with the notion of hot-rodding an old power mac and the 8600 tops my list. (9600's are nice, but still too much, plus they don't always have the A/V ports, which is something I could make good use of.)

I'm very impressed by old macs' ability to hold their value, an old 7500 can still be brought to current standards and is still worth some money bare, can't say the same thing for a PC of the same age.

What did you do to your 8600 to bump it up? How do other games run on it?

I love the Radeon card, I ditched the GeForce2 MX card from my DP 533 G4 and I will very likely be replacing it with another ATI card when the time comes.

Gyrene

I've had the 8600 from new, and just resisted the temptation to buy a new Mac. I put in a Powerlogix ZIF card with a G3 400 processor, pumped up the RAM to (so far) to 416 MB, and added the Radeon card. It runs most everything pretty well, and outperforms or performs as well as most iMacs and G3 machines I've encountered.

Apparently there is even a workaround to get OS X to run on machines without the G3/4 motherboard, so there may be life in the old 8600 yet.

What's nice about these older machines is that they were made to be upgraded, with tons of expansion slots, etc. I friend of mine who runs his own special effects company out of his house (he used to be head of computer graphics at ILM) was still using heavily hot-rodded Performas for some tasks until very recently...

AHHHHH yes Joe...the days of having clear blue sky with the imac ....fond memories :D

Andrew...i did MY NUT when i first got CM...imac REV D -256MB RAM....chiriping birds and nothing else.

EVENTUALLY i got a strange work around which allowed me to play it...ii had to double load CM.

I would start it up as normal...get to the loading 3d graphics screen....nothing happens...so then i hit ECS....and start up CM again...

This time i would be able to play it....and there would be 2 CM in the finder.

All my problems were solved when the OpenGl 1.2.2 arrived smile.gif

regards

MÃ¥kjager