New M10 GMC Mod

btm

This is my first mod, so please let me know if you have any suggestions or requests. (Especially if you happen to be my hero, Marco Bergman!)

Mod adds weathering effects, minor stencils, and grousers/water can to the (originally empty) grouser racks.

It's available at CMMODS as BTM_M10_GMC.

Screenie: http://www.cmmods.com/web/CMAKMods.nsf/b9aa3982b22d91ec85256c5300582977/46F8F4CA27FF5BFD85256E84000A8673

Ben, that's a very creditable first mod.

It's a good idea to start with adding detail to stock textures, and the skills you hone there will never go to waste no matter what direction your modding takes you.

The only suggestion I have with this mod is to keep a close eye on your lighting direction. I always try to shade my mods as if the light is comming from above and to the front, about 45 degrees. This means shadows should go diagonally towards the lower rear corner, and highlights should be on the upper front edges. You have the highlights just right on the can, could possibly have a touch more on the top grousers, but I think perhaps you could do with some more shadow at the rear end of the grousers. At the moment it looks as if the light on the grousers is being cast straight downwards. Just a minor suggestion, not a criticism.

Also you might find the bottom shadow looks a bit better if it has a soft edge instead of a hard edge?

Oh, one other point. The CMAK files are already sized at what would be high-res or very high-res in CMBO. Your 2x side texture won't make slower Macs very happy. I try to keep to the default texture size for CMAK unless it's just too small.

If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to email me.

Marco,

Thanks for the tips! I'll try to incorporate them into an update ASAP.

Thanks for the offer for more help. There are indeed a few questions I'd like to ask you. I'll put them together in an e-mail.

Thanks again.