Looking for Allied vehicle consultants

Looking at the graphics engine you guys will be using, it looks like you'll have quite a few fun toys! Sorry to sort of pimp a competitor, and I'm not sure whether or not it's relevant, by the Day of Defeat team is exploring lots of interesting things in their graphics engine. Lack of focus, motion blur, other stuff. And of course, Red Orchestra will have all sorts of fun features that I hope you guys will include, or at least consider.

Originally posted by stoat:

I'm not questioning SBD's off of Ranger or Wasp in 1942, I'm wondering what they are doing in a game called "1944 D-Day."

I assumed that some of the alternate scenarios would be set in the 1942-43 time frame. Whether that will turn out to be so, of course remains to be seen.

Michael

Originally posted by stoat:

Do you mean differences in upper/lower surfaces? Or more of a RN aircraft paint scheme?

Some pre-war US aircraft were painted with a darker upper surface color and a lighter lower surface color (F4F for example). Others were painted in camoflage schemes. By mid to late war periods, however, it was much faster to paint the aircraft all one color. That's why you see single tone aircraft, both in the Navy, and in the Airforce.

There was also a period (I'm not sure when it began, the latter half of '43 I think, and then ran into the middle of '45) when they were painted dark sea blue on top, a kind of medium-light blue on the sides, and a very pale blue or gray on the bottoms.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I don't think the changeovers occurred simultaneously for all planes in the fleet. So even as late as the Okinawa battles you had some planes dark blue all over and others in the three tone pattern.

Michael

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

Looking at the graphics engine you guys will be using, it looks like you'll have quite a few fun toys! Sorry to sort of pimp a competitor, and I'm not sure whether or not it's relevant, by the Day of Defeat team is exploring lots of interesting things in their graphics engine. Lack of focus, motion blur, other stuff. And of course, Red Orchestra will have all sorts of fun features that I hope you guys will include, or at least by consider.

Oh yeah, the developers are keeping their eyes on everyone. This game has really been in development for over 5 years now from what I've gathered. Guy's working on his Masters in AI and human interaction so he's definitely serious about it.

Loving the kind of feedback everyone is giving. If we get something wrong, we want to know about it. When stuff gets into Alpha and Beta (it'll start as a HL2 mod) we'll need expert opinions. Of course, b/c of the size of the final full game, we'll have to limit things to "the most frequent configuration seen" so not every freakin' crazy config of vehicles can be modeled or the game wouldn't be done for another 5 years.

For example, I know that all models of the M1 carbine produced by IBM had a round top bolt and an adjustable rear sight but the truth is the most common WWII config fielded (regardless of maker) was the one with the flat top bolt and rear flip sight. Everyone wants to be thorough, there were what, but there like a dozen makers of the M1 carbine so it could go on forever...

[ December 12, 2005, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: petestorm ]

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by stoat:

I'm not questioning SBD's off of Ranger or Wasp in 1942, I'm wondering what they are doing in a game called "1944 D-Day."

I assumed that some of the alternate scenarios would be set in the 1942-43 time frame. Whether that will turn out to be so, of course remains to be seen.

Michael </font>