McAfee

I have a problem launching CMBB. Black screen, error beep, alt tab out shows error message. It seems to stem from having Mcafee online viruscan. The first time I fought it, an error message popped up "nt on access scanner service" encountered a problem and needs to close. Ah-ha I exit Mcafee in sys tray first. It worked for a while. Today it didn't. Tried and tried to get CM started then poof, nt... again. Mcafee webhelp says conflict with pccillin, but I don't have it.

Any one savy with better way to shut down Mcafee? BTW CDV SE version.

This is the McAfee Viruscan 8/Online version ?

I haven't used McAfee in awhile, so I'm quite ignorant of how the current versions work. Have you updated the signatures and/or possibly upgraded the 'engine'/executable ?

You can do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and depending on which version of Windows you have, you can 'kill' the programs associated with Viruscan. There may be more than one and if you're running Windows 2000 or XP the 'Processes' tab may list several programs that are associated with McAfee, some of which you will be unable to 'kill'.

I'd suggest using the Systray icon to exit first. Assuming that actually closes down the scanner, you could then perform the Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Task Manager and look through the Processes that are currently running. There's likely to be one or two that are associated with Viruscan, though you'll probably have to examine the McAfee folder to find out what files are there that are listed as running.

Viruscan may also be interacting with something else that is loaded up too. Possibly killing other programs (especially items you may see loaded in the System Tray) might help with this.