How to deal with an 88 ?

I am new to this game and I think that it will become a big favorite. I am cutting my teeth on the "5th Glosters go east" scenario as Allies. I can take the town just fine, but then I have a real hard time taking out the 88 on the other side of the field. Also, taking the town takes most of my ammo, which only compounds my problems with the big German gun.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing here ?

The best counter to high powered guns is an on board mortar, with an HQ spotting for it. You can hit them without reply. A cheap unit suffices. Any gun can be KOed with a few minutes of fire. When the gun is valuable enough, you can also try a light or medium FO, with the same idea of hitting them without them hitting you.

Another remedy is to distract them with infantry at one angle, then hunt a tank into LOS from another angle. The tank then tries to kill it before it can rotate back. A variant on this is to exploit your mobility in a tank by getting LOS to a spot right next to the gun, but not to the gun location. Then area fire with HE at that spot, 2-4m from the gun.

As JasonC stated, the on board mortar or off board artillery seem to shake them up within one or two turns depending on the size of artillery. The mortar can be one of the most pesky units in the game once you learn to use a HQ unit to spot for it. My current battle I've been using an HQ hiding in some light trees with the 60mm mortar on the other side of bocage just plugging away at some well emplaced gun positions. My opponent seemed to have spotted by HQ as he tried to get him with some area fire but I got him first. If there is a gun in a wooded area, the mortars really can wreak havoc with some torrid tree bursts.