Tanks in Tunisia (U.S. armor lessons learned--online)

Troops,

Read the whole thing. Found it extremely worthwhile

for its discussions of engagements, tactics, commentary on training or lack thereof (some of the infantry replacements had never fired a rifle) and much else. There are even several comments on the value of canister from 37mm ATGs and from the turrets of M3 Lees.

Regards,

John Kettler

"A British officer of the widest tank experience told me that our M4 tank was the finest tank in the world. He thought it was better than anything else the United Nations had and was better than anything the Germans had. He thought it would be the best tank for the next five years."

Off just a little. Last five, he'd have even been right.

JasonC,

Cut that poor bloke a break! Look what he'd had to use before the Sherman came along. Compared to them, even the skyscraper on tracks Grant was a huge improvement. Would further point out the immense scarcity of Mark IV Specials and Tiger Is in theater at the time, whereas the Shermans were appearing in quantity.

Regards,

John Kettler

slysniper,

You're welcome! If memory serves, I believe Lone Sentry has more such material. I Remember at Russian Battlefield has some good material, too, but

I can't say how much is available translated. I highly recommend TANKS FOR THE MEMORIES and a slew of interviews of tankers and others veterans online at www.tankbooks.com

Regards,

John Kettler