JasonC - CM Puzzler_v1-2

Wicky

I tried without luck to find the original thread where your conundrum came about.

Anyhow just wondered what the solution was for the puzzle - I replayed it many times using all the tricks I could think of but never succeeded reliably to take out the offending gun.

Cheers

John

Jason C, Checking the briefing it's a CMAK scenario puzzler by Treeburst155. As it was so fiendish I mistakenly assumed it was from you - sorry for the confusion.

The tactical problem is how to reliably take out a gun with 2 regular Sherman Is approaching on a narrow front from a range of approx 350m. The only assistance is from 2 infantry platoon HQ units to help with spotting.

http://homepage.mac.com/spaderunner/filechute/CM%20Puzzler_v1-2.cmg

This is the truth - I KO'd the gun with 5 seconds left on turn 12 of 12 - first try.

This was an interesting little puzzle. I would like to hear how anybody else solved it. Mine was a bit of luck.

*****spoiler below*****

One tank got KO'd, and I tried for a couple turns to get LOS to an area close to the gun. Twice my living tank inched forward spotted the gun and reversed out of LOS. So in that sense I was lucky. After the second time (turn 11) I decided to drive my living tank behind the KO'd tank that was smoking. Turn 12 I had LOS to an area just next to the gun and area fired and got a lucky kill with the 6th shot.

Although I did read daves spoiler, I bagged it on my first attempt on the 8th turn, maybe a turn earlier not sure. Saw the crew crawling away and then issued a cease fire. I lost one of my tanks of course. But after that I just crawled my way up until I was able to get los to the foxhole. You don't need to use the other tank to sneak up to los.

It is a a good lesson for beginners though. You don't need and certainly don't want full los to KO guns. Take the extra few turns to get close-los so you can safely KO the gun. But theres definitely luck involved no doubt. It's sometimes hard to tell if your edging too far close and then the AFV gets popped.

• 2 months later...

It took a few trys, but I tagged the gun on turn 5, then repeated just to make sure it was not luck.

*** Spoiler below ***

I crested one tank while the other put smoke directly in front of itself on the crest while remaining in turret defilade. At the same time, I ran out one of the HQ units into the open (on the far left). The gun ko'ed my first tank then turned to fire on the HQ. I crested my second tank behind its smoke screen. When the smoke cleared the AT gun had just broken the HQ but was still oriented away from my tank, and my tank was able to area fire into the foxhole, knocking out the gun before it could traverse back.

Probably not the textbook solution, but it got the job done...