Apparent Lost Evidence: Cassino on Hist Ch. Time Warner 12:20 a.m PST

Lightning War,

That's what I get for a panic posting! Should've said History Channel (U.S.), and the balance of the show was first rate, with absolutely harrowing accounts of individual combat and the terrible weather in which it was waged. I imagine it'll be rebroadcast, too. Not only was this program terrific, but so too were the Hellcat: Zero Killer on Dogfights and the Tet firefights on Shootout.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hate to split hairs on the Shootout series, but I saw several of them for the first time today. They are extremely low budget. In particular, the USMC one dealing with an Operation near the Syrian border in Iraq was pretty simplistic. I know they needed the military to provide the actual men and equipment to film the reenactment scenes, and both are in particular demand. But watching them switch back and forth between about 30 percent actual footage, and the 70 percent that was filmed at 29 Palms and used inappropriate equipment. Soft skinned HMMWVs and unportected crew serve mounts were not present anywhere in Iraq during the period covered.

But I admit that is hair splitting and due to very limited forces on the part of the military to film a documentary during a time of war. And I immediately called a buddy of mine who participated in the actual operation (If you were watching it he was a teammate of the USMC Interrogator who was shot in the leg.), and he said he had just watched it also and DVRd it. He really liked it.

civdiv,

I don't believe I've seen the one you singled out, but I'll definitely keep a weather eye out for it. Usually, the Shootout episodes have very good footage (only the occasional howlers) and beautifully equipped service member reenactors, who get all their kit from a special secure depot in

Anniston, Alabama. The people there are mega anal about getting weapons, uniforms and equipment right.

Lightning War,

If you like fighter combat, Dogfight is a must see.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hang on... I think I may have seen dogfight before. Does it take the form of a two-hour special that features computer generated re-enactments of legendary dogfights? The particular program I'm thinking about starts with a WW1 biplane clash, then goes on to the story of a WW2 Mustang/ME-109 fur ball, and finishes with a jet fighter engagement over MiG alley?

[ December 10, 2006, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Lightning War ]

Originally posted by John Kettler:

civdiv,

I don't believe I've seen the one you singled out, but I'll definitely keep a weather eye out for it. Usually, the Shootout episodes have very good footage (only the occasional howlers) and beautifully equipped service member reenactors, who get all their kit from a special secure depot in

Anniston, Alabama. The people there are mega anal about getting weapons, uniforms and equipment right.

Lightning War,

If you like fighter combat, Dogfight is a must see.

Regards,

John Kettler

It's the one that deals with the Operation on the Syrian border dealing with the towns of (IIRC) Karabila and al-Ubaydi. You can clearly see an unarmored HMMWV in one of the reinactments, as well as HMMWV .50 call mounts w/o gun shields, as well as one scene were a Marine is just standing up in the back of the unarmored HMMWV, which has an open bed (Which is how you can tell it is unarmored), in the midst of a firefight.