GeForce2 GTS Card & Poor Frame Rates

Guest ACTOR

Guest ACTOR

First, I feel like this answer may already be out there but I couldn't find it with a search.

I have a PII 450 with 128 MB of RAM. I just purchased a new GeForce2 GTS Card (3D Blaster Annihilator 2) and I am getting frame rates between 10 and 20. What am I doing wrong?

I went to the Nvidia site and downloaded the latest drivers, but still no luck.

Any help advice/help would be appreciated.

Guest Big Time Software

There may be nothing wrong. It all depends on what's in the scenario. If you have all graphical options on "full" that will slow things down. The SHIFT T, S, I, and H options can help speed things up.

Also, the larger the map and the more units involved, the slower the frame rate.

What version of DirectX do you have? v7.0a is the latest. If you don't have it, get it.

Have you checked out the Direct3D control panel? How about the one for your GeForce? There may be options to tweak there.

Charles

Guest Madmatt

I also recently purchased a GeForce II with 64 MB Prophet II GTS card. I am using the 'leaked' 5.30 drivers and noticed only a overall fram rate INCREASE across the board. Something to note is that a p2 450 really doesn't even BEGIN to tap the power of your card. The bottleneck is in the pipe to and from your video card and not the card itself.

My system is a P3-550 with 256megs...

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest ACTOR

First, Thanks BTS and MADMATT. I was looking at the settings for my card, and my darn PII does seem to be my problem. That SUCKS!

Wesreidau...I can't count that fast!!!!

I use a utility called FRAPS99. It is available at http://www.fraps.com/

Happy hunting...and I guess I have another excuse to go buy a better computer. smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ACTOR

stodge,

I'll ask the usual questions, which you may have already tried. Do you have the latest drivers for your card from the OEM? Have you tried the Nvidia drivers? Do you have the latest version of Direct X?

I have found that the OEM drivers work best for me, but that may just be my config. Hope this helps.

I've tried the latest drivers from Asus' website; 5.22e I believe, and also the ones on the CD that came with the card. I dont know what version is on there.

I installed the latest DirectX from the MS Update site.

I downloaded some NVidia drivers, but they wouldn't install properly for some reason. Maybe I didnt' clear out the old drivers properly.

Have you uninstalled your previous video drivers ? On occasion they could possibly interfere with the newer video card's drivers, especially if they install a lot of additional options.

Get the latest nVidia Detonator Reference Drivers (5.32). You won't get all of the ASUS control panel features with the Reference Detonators, but you'll get the latest (under the TNT/TNT2 section):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

Before installing the latest I'd suggest going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Software control panel > Selecting any installations referring to your old video card and your new one. On reboot you may have to select an SVGA video card. After this reinstall DirectX 7.0a.

After you have DirectX installed then install your Detonator drivers.

Hopefully this will work for you. If not then there's probably a lot more we would have to review with you.

Guest ACTOR

O.K. Is this card a replacement card? If so, how did you get rid of the old one? In order to get things to work correctly, I had to uninstall the old card and use a default VGA driver while installing the new card.

Not sure that this helps you, but it may work.

Looks like Schrullenhaft beat me to the punch! biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ACTOR (edited 07-19-2000).]

I uninstalled the old ATI software. Then I removed the display card from the control panel.

I just tried the Asus card under Win2000 (clean install). Once I rebooted after I installed the Win2k Asus drivers (3.84e), the screen goes blank, and my SB Live just screams an almight high pitch sound. No go there.

The CM CD is in the drive waiting to be installed.

Waste of money so far frown.gif

UPDATE

Ok, I installed the 5.32 drivers, and everything seems ok.

When I tried CM though, I selected 1024x768 @ 75Hz. All the colours were screwed up in the game, and a lot of the graphics were a mess. Any ideas?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by stodge (edited 07-19-2000).]

Guest ACTOR

Well first things first...try going to a lower res on the desk top and see if that clears things up. If not, I know from the newsgroups that there are some unique things regarding Win 2k and GeForce 2 cards.

Try going to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia and look at what they are saying to help with in 2k. Additionally, you could try searching this forum for Win 2k issues.

That's about the best I can do, as I am running Win 98 se.

Good luck!

Guest ACTOR

That's the order I did it in, with no problems.

Good luck, and let me know how things come out.

Bill

I re-read your post, and I did it the first way...sorry about that.

UPDATED!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I could kiss you all! Finally the bugger works!!! Just need to install my SBLive drivers now, but ohhhhhh I feel good! Shame it's 11:25pm. It's only taken me 5 bloody hours!!

Thanks again!

Guest ACTOR

That's great...and you still have plenty of time to play before the sun comes up! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Glad to hear things worked out...if you want to PBEM let me know.

Good Hunting