Mods mods mods... Commonwealth uniforms posted

at--where else--the CM Mod Database! smile.gif

It's a full replacement set for North Africa/Early War Commonwealth uniforms, meaning British, Australian, New Zealand, South African, and Polish, all of which share at least two BMPs, so their all in the set. This mod features the groovy new web gear from my Canadian uniform set, as well as a few other new things such as Aertex khaki drill bush jackets for the Coy/Bn HQs, for the sake of a little variety.

Here are a couple screenies, in this instance of Australians:

aussies.jpg

and the Australian HQ

aussiehq.jpg

I suppose I should mention that the set also includes AFV crew outfits, as well.

Looks good Andrew - as ever smile.gif

A couple of observations:

1) the patch on the Aussies sleefve in the above pics looks like its 'floating' over the arm, rather than being sewn onto it. At a guess, I tyhink it's maybe not 'weathered' enough?

2) I'm guessing that 9405, 9404, and 9304 relate to the company OCs - is there any chance of giving them Majors crowns instead of Captains pips, since OCs were meant to be Majors (though for a variety of reasons Capts often filled the posn).

Many thanks for this, and all the others.

JonS

Responses: I thought the Australian patch looked ok, but I suppose it could be toned down. As I've stated before, if someone wants to do a weathered version of my uniform mods then go ahead. Adding major's crowns should be easy enough. If I have to make any revisions then I may add them. I didn't notice a problem with the SA troops when I tested them, but perhaps I wasn't paying attention. I'll double-check the numbering.

And yes, I've got some Italian uniforms in the wings... smile.gif

Andrew, do you have any pics of Australian uniforms which you based your designs on? Out of curiousity, is it possible to email some of them to me? Thanks!

Actually I found an interesting site with some good pictures of Aussie North African Uniforms. You can find it at HERE

I'm trying to track down who the site owner is, but of interest is this picture:

2aifinf.jpg

BTW, If anyone is interested in using the 'Rising Sun' icon as the last known location icon instead of the default Aussie Flag, then I've posted a mod up at the usual place, CMMODS

[ January 13, 2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: MAsta_KFC ]

The Aussie uniforms are merely British uniforms with different arms, so they share the same uniform and headgear BMPs as the rest of the Commonwealth troops. I found a picture of the triangular badge on an Australian militaria website--I forget which one--and decided to use it just to be different. This badge appeared to have a white border as opposed to the gray one in the photos posted above.

I'm perfectly willing to change it if I've made some sort of gross misinterpretation of the badge. I want it to be as historically accurate as possible. smile.gif

Originally posted by von Lucke:

In Winecape's abscence, I feel compelled to stand up for the South Africans:

Seems that 9403 (crew) and 9404 (platoon HQ) have suffered a bit of number slippage: As is, 9403 shows a platoon HQ uniform (instead of enlisted man crew), and 9404 (platoon HQ) duplicates the company HQ uniform.

Now that I'm home and can check things, I see what the problem is--I apparently saved the coy HQ body bmp with the platoon hq number. Nothing saying the SA platoon hqs can't be wearing the bush jacket, but then the rank pips are incorrect, so I'll fix it tonight. Maybe even add the major's crowns as requested.

Andrew, do you remember which division used the triangle? I can't seem to find a triangle insignia in the sites I've browsed so far, although it's probably out there. According the notes in the site I linked;

'Note: 6th Division:- flat rectangle, 7th Division:- diamond, 8th Division:- oval, 9th Division:- initially a disk, then a T for Tobruk after 1942 '

And two more pictures from that site:

austunidesert.jpg

badges.jpg

Would it please be possible to create 'options' for the divisions? Please? Thanks!! tongue.gif

Originally posted by MAsta_KFC:

Andrew, do you remember which division used the triangle? I can't seem to find a triangle insignia in the sites I've browsed so far, although it's probably out there. According the notes in the site I linked;

'Note: 6th Division:- flat rectangle, 7th Division:- diamond, 8th Division:- oval, 9th Division:- initially a disk, then a T for Tobruk after 1942 '

austunidesert.jpg

badges.jpg

Would it please be possible to create 'options' for the divisions? Please? Thanks!! tongue.gif

OOOOOOOps double post sorry

[ January 14, 2004, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: goodwood ]

austunidesert.jpg

badges.jpg

Hi There,I might be wrong, but some WW1 Light horse brigades wore Triangles, also Corps troops wore them as well

[ January 14, 2004, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: goodwood ]

I don't think you know how much extra work you're requesting from Andrew when you mention options for the divisions....

I have plans to mod the insignia for the Aussies (as well as the rest of the Commonwealth) but it takes time to get it right and then make it CMMOS compatible so that you can actually use the options....as soon as I've had a chance to play around a bit with Andrew's uniforms a bit, then I'll be able to do my stuff.

Originally posted by Darknight_Canuck:

I don't think you know how much extra work you're requesting from Andrew when you mention options for the divisions....

That's why it's just a request ;)

I understand that Andrew probably has other unis he needs to attend to, but maybe, just maybe, one day.... :D

Originally posted by goodwood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MAsta_KFC:

Hi There,I might be wrong, but some WW1 Light horse brigades wore Triangles, also Corps troops wore them as well </font>

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

It's a full replacement set for North Africa/Early War Commonwealth uniforms, meaning British, Australian, New Zealand, South African, and Polish, all of which share at least two BMPs, so their all in the set. This mod features the groovy new web gear from my Canadian uniform set, as well as a few other new things such as Aertex khaki drill bush jackets for the Coy/Bn HQs, for the sake of a little variety.

[/QB]

A good effort except may I offer a couple of suggestions?

Commonwealth troops did not use the Rifle .303 No4 before Tunisia so to set them in "the desert" is incorrect.

No AMF (Australian Militia Force) troops served in the ME - indeed by the Defence Act 1903 (as amended (that is Australian Legislation) they could not serve outside Australia and its territories (though this was amended slightly in 1943 to cover an area basically similar to the US SWPA), so to use a Militia patch is a tad misleading.....

Originally posted by capt starlight:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AndrewTF:

A good effort except may I offer a couple of suggestions?

Commonwealth troops did not use the Rifle .303 No4 before Tunisia so to set them in "the desert" is incorrect.

No AMF (Australian Militia Force) troops served in the ME - indeed by the Defence Act 1903 (as amended (that is Australian Legislation) they could not serve outside Australia and its territories (though this was amended slightly in 1943 to cover an area basically similar to the US SWPA), so to use a Militia patch is a tad misleading..... [/QB]</font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

SMLE - 3, or 4?

The difference in game terms would be nil, I suspect.

This, Michael, would have to be one of your more outstandingly redundant comments.

The difference in games turns of any mod is precisly nil.

They still look good though smile.gif

BTW, someone has already posted a modded SMLE at teh mod database.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

SMLE - 3, or 4?

This, Michael, would have to be one of your more outstandingly redundant comments.

Regards

JonS </font>

Originally posted by Dressler:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Limey:

On a far more serious note - why do my troops have such fat forearms. I never really noticed it in CMBB. I wonder if they have caught some horrendous African disease??

Yep... it was a nasty bugger called "Popeytis" that was spread by Tse-tse flies.... </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

SMLE - 3, or 4?

Regards

JonS </font>