Two Normandy / Steel Inferno Questions

In "Steel Inferno" Michael Reynolds describes the British decision to halt the crossing of the Odon during Op Epsom in anticipation of a German counterattack by II SS Pz Corp as "handing back the initiative".

Was this a correct move on the part of the British? Note that the British knew of the Germans moves and intentions due to ULTRA intercepts, so they weren't basing their decisions on just a hunch.

What would have been the result had the British gone ahead and sent 11th armored across? Would this move had thrown the Germans off balanced?

My second question relates to Operation Goodwood. Following the disastrous first day the British consolidated their meager gains. Michael Reynolds states that the following: "Although both the forward british armoured divisions had full strength infantry brigades available and in the right place, neither attempted the one operation whihc the Germans were dreading - a night attack by infantry"

Why were the Germans dreading this attack? What would have been the possible outcome had the British infantry attacked that night?

Just guessing:

A night attack thru thinly manned lines means you will find a weak spot somewhere and penetrate into the rear areas. Heavy wpns can replace bayonet strenght in good visibility. But in low viz, you need men to hold the ground. German defense was based on heavy wpns.

Attack strategically, defend tactically. A German theorem in WW2. Hit a weak spot, send your tanks thru, cut off forward lines and force the defender to attack the attacker to avoid getting cut off.

Plus it is much easier to field your ATGs on the defense. All of your units have cover and concealment thus first shots while the enemy must come to you.

If you attack into an assembling enemy, you might still run into some overwatch units. If you run into a Pak front and then the Germans counterattack from their assemly area, they might cut off your bridgehead. If you know they will attack, you might try to play this trick on them.

I'd happily give the initiative of attacking to the Germans as the surprise is still with me - so actually I still have the initiative. The one who attacks is not alway the one with the initiative.... just look at Cannae or operation "Backhand Blow"

Gruß

Joachim