A serious series of misfortunes!

Has anyone had any luck at all on the new scenario "A series of Misfortunes" Have attempted to play as Axis numbers of time with out any success at all, not even a smidgeon. Played as Allies and wiped the Axis AI out 1-2-3.

Is there anyway for the Axis to have even a small amount of success opn this scenario?

If anyone wins it, I would be amazed. Just goes to show you that indeed, Rommel had his bad days. That attack should not have been ordered. Oh yeah, there were actually more 25 pdrs there then what I show. Read the article from the book, interesting reading.

Rune

--- spoiler ---

I won the scen. Some cautious hunt/reverse brought no result (aka incoming). So 16 tanks crested the ridge simultaneously and 8 PzIV started to shell any sandbagged area (spray and pray). 2 PzIII raced along the right flank. One PzIV gun damaged, one immo'd, but most guns were not that accurate once under fire.

Once a few guns were taken out, I ordered more tanks to race forward.

Another approach is to use keyholing and smoke to block LOS to parts of the board, area fire with 4 PzIV and leave the others to concentrate on any guns opening up.

If you wait till the 25lbers open up, you loose.

An additional gun or another setup would have ruined the party.

Gruß

Joachim

Joachim,

Well done. I wanted a slim chance of winning, which you managed to do. In the historical battle, well explained int eh book, the British infantry came out of their foxholes and trenches to watch the destruction of the German tanks. The scenario shows that even Rommel had his bad days, this being one of them.

Again, well done!

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

Joachim,

Well done. I wanted a slim chance of winning, which you managed to do. In the historical battle, well explained int eh book, the British infantry came out of their foxholes and trenches to watch the destruction of the German tanks. The scenario shows that even Rommel had his bad days, this being one of them.

Again, well done!

Rune

It is a scenario well done. Simple but very effective.

My assault was not one of my better ones. I doubt I would have done it in RL. I guessed, then made a bet and had it right. If the sandbags had been fake, I would have been slaughtered.

My alternative approach should be much better and more robust than what I actually did.

The infantry was no problem. Even before the auto-surrender I captured all cause I routed&eliminated the Plt HQ. Seems I had a lucky series of fortunes!

Only a few combattants got hurt. My preferred method of taking out guns was driving over them. Works well, yields captives.

Gruß

Joachim

Yeah, I won it - first time IIRC. It was/is fairly ovious where the 25-prs are situated, so its a case of maximising fire onto one or two of them at a time while blocking LOS (using smoke and/or dust and/or terrain) to the others.

Still lost a lot of tanks though.

Yay the Gunners :D

Regards

JonS