Question About German Tank Design

From the data that I have seen (well....the data in the game) it seems to me that the German 75 mm gun on the panther was a better gun then the "dreaded" 88mm fitted on the tiger. I am talking about penetration here. The tiger has better "blast" value but the panther has better penetration (AP).

My question is why did they fit the king tiger with the 88mm instead of the better 75 mm?

I realize that "better" is subjective but it seems the 75 would be my choice.

The Tiger I was equipped with the Flak 88, which means it was originally designed to shoot down heavy bombers. This was achieved by constructing special ramps which would allow it to elevate its main gun.

It also benefitted from being able to tie into the air defense radar network, allowing the turret and gun to be controlled remotely from ground stations several kilometers away. Entire companies of tanks were thus able to lock onto and fire on one target. This was witnessed on September 19th, 1943, when the 3rd Kompanie / 511th s.Pz Abt. brought down 5 Lancasters of 31 squadron, RAF.