Scenario: West Wall, Assault at Rimburg

Moving this scenario to The Scenario Depot. Thanks to all who have commented and tested.

<font color="red">West Wall, Assault at Rimburg</font>

The American 30th Division "Old Hickory" embarks across the muddy beet fields toward the West Wall bunkers. The 117th Infantry Regiment on the left flank and the 119th on the right. In the middle is Rimburg Castle, a moated medieval fortress. Ahead -- damp open ground, the Wurm River, more open ground, a railroad embankment, the bunkers of the West Wall and German soil.

Best played as Allied vs. AI or Head to Head. Historical recreation based on period aerial photos and maps, topographical data and overlay maps with bunker locations. Great photos and information here: Arno Lasoe Photos and Old Hickory

Download from the Scenario Depot: L I N K

Click on photos to enlarge

WurmValleyLookingSouth.jpg

JumpOff2knotated.jpg

Another Google image.

Looking south (similar angle as in screen shot above). Rimburg castle in the middle, farm is off to the left in fore ground. Rimburg village is on right. Railroad track visible on left. Wurm river is narrow line down center. Water treatment plant has been added since the war and river straightened here. White line marks a distance of 500m. Photo gives some idea of the height variations.

Jump-off line of 117th Regiment was treeline above Rimburg village attacking north of the castle toward the farm. The 119th left the treeline and moved across the field to the south of the casle and into trees containing the West Wall defenses. The railroad embankment to the south acted as a tank barrier with man-made tank obstacles blocking the tracks to the north.

The village of Rimburg had been evacuated and was in Allied hands. The Germans defended from their bunkers and trenches in the trees and beyond as well as from Rimburg Castle.

Click on the Arno Lasoe link above for eye-level views of much of the area.

jumpoffvalley500m.jpg

[ January 01, 2008, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Bannon DC ]

• 4 weeks later...

I appreciate how much work this is, believe me. And the map looks great. But it is simply too big for me to even attempt actually playing it. Sorry, I know there is a market for huge scenarios, but I am just not in it. I find it too much work and I don't have the time. I think CM works best at the reinforced company scale. Even 3000 points is creeping to giantism and getting hard to play, for me.

There's nothing like a good short, sharp fight. True, CM does work best at the company level and the bigger it is the fewer players there are interested in playing it.

Still, I do enjoy larger battles myself... not exclusively, of course. I enjoy actual scale where either side can potentially see the other outside the range of small arms. The challenge of closing with the enemy becomes a combined arms puzzle.

Lately with my larger battles, I have started to make "cut down" versions of portions of the map in traditional company-level scale. I'm testing a bunker busting scenario that takes place on the ridge above the castle. I might do one focusing on clearing out Rimburg Castle itself.