Deliberately exiting Units

CaSCa

Does deliberately exiting units off of the map count against you in a battle?

I am building quite a truck park in a scenario I am playing. Should my opponent wander in there it will be easy pickings. Would I be better off to order them off of the edge of the map than chance a massacre?

I have looked in the manual, and it does not seem to address victory points and exiting units other than in scenarios where one of the goals is to exit them.

I could disperse the trucks, but that would be a PITA. I'm also not sure if driving them off of the map would be 'gamey' or not. I could be depriving the enemy of possible points by moving beyond the artificial boundaries of the game map.

Such a conundrum. I am verklempt.

Originally posted by CaSCa:

Does deliberately exiting units off of the map count against you in a battle?

I am building quite a truck park in a scenario I am playing. Should my opponent wander in there it will be easy pickings. Would I be better off to order them off of the edge of the map than chance a massacre?

I have looked in the manual, and it does not seem to address victory points and exiting units other than in scenarios where one of the goals is to exit them.

I could disperse the trucks, but that would be a PITA. I'm also not sure if driving them off of the map would be 'gamey' or not. I could be depriving the enemy of possible points by moving beyond the artificial boundaries of the game map.

Such a conundrum. I am verklempt.

My understanding is, from those older, wiser, and more retentive, is that doing so will lower your global morale. Other than that, no.

It's not 'gamey' to drive them off the map. Of course you're depriving the enemy of potential 'points'. War wasn't about 'points', it was about resources. Preserving vital resources for the ongoing war isn't gamey, it's what they did. But it will somewhat lower your morale. Take them off somewhere safe, and park them there. Only drive them off if it looks like they could be kacked. That's gamey, if you like. But only a whiny bugger will make some sort of point about it.

My understanding is that it will automatically lower your global morale but if you have a particularly large force, thehit shouldn't be too significant. Unfortunately you get a double whammy though becasue as Michael points out, any further loss of your force has a greater impact on global morale since it's counting against a smaller base.

In my experience I tend to drive my trucks to the least interesting, most restricted LOS section of the map in friendly territory & leave them there in the hope that they never are discovered and therefore avoid the hit on my global morale.

Regards

Jim R.