placing minefields the best places

Depends who you're playing against.

Against the AI, shockingly obvious locations can be effective - daisy chains on the road flanked by regular AT mines is my personal favourite - They'll spot the daisychains, go around and go boom.

Natural chokepoints can be enhanced or blocked, ambush positions can be enhanced (put mines in obvious 'rout' routes) or critical cover can be denied.

It's important to remember than no set of mines are 100% effective - ISTR that someone tested it and came up with a 50% effectiveness for each 'tile' of mines, so two stacked tiles would be 75% effective.

Anti-personnel mines can be used to slow down the enemy, cause some cheeky casualties (especially useful against weapons teams as they lose valuable ammo and fatigue quickly whilst crawling about), deny areas of cover for movement.

Some minefield locations work best when covered by fire, others can be situated safely out of sight. It really does depend on the terrain, the enemy force composition and any manouvreing you might want to do.

Originally posted by dog of war:

what are the best places for laying minefields anti tank/ anti personnel in this game

I would say that although there are some general guidelines to successful mine placement, how often you use them, how many you purchase, and where you put them vary greatly from player to player. It's mainly a matter of testing to see what works best for you.

Having wire nearly blocking an obvious entry point with AP mines where your opponent thinks he's spotted a chink is always good.

AT mines are good in obvious overwatch places, or to block a flank that's a bit open. You only need to kill or immobilise one AFV to change your opponents whole attitude to the game. Link these with light flak weapons and you can knock out many points of armor with very few points spent. Also, don't forget you're not using them in isolation. Hopefully you will have attrited your opponent to the point where, when he's by the flags he's basically leading with armor. So place some where he's likely to put his tanks in a bid to capture that big flag.

Wire is good ~15m in on the back edge of trees where your opponent will look to site support weapons or to launch an attack. Covered with an MG at your back line & with a TRP on you can stop an attack prong dead with minimal fuss.

Off topic, so forgive me if you're not interested, but with all of these things you shouldn't be looking to create a wall to stop your opponents attack but a sponge to absorb it. Allow it to flex, fall back, take your losses, make sure everything gets all it can shot at the enemy and you can break up the best attack.

I like to move 1/3 of my infantry forward into an attack to deny it space and act as scouts. These guys I expect to lose. Keep them to good cover to deny it to your opponent and keep out of the way of its overwatch.

People tend to move forward focussed with their infantry but spread out with their support weapons, so you have a chance to ambush them. Your infantry in the way of his main attack act as a speedbump and allow your leading 1/3 not engaged by them to get into flanking fire positions.

Have 1/3 hold across a line to slow the advance and allow your last 1/3, your reserves, to be positioned for a counter-attack. Your opponent will generally reach deep into your lines anyway, but will hopefully be so depleted and dispersed by these tactics that a concentrated counter will regain any lost flags, or if none have been reached you can pin and attack sucessfully.