Fuel Tanks a weakness on Tanks?

Is there any proof that fuel tanks were a weakness on tanks in WW2? IE: shooting them, placing explosives on them?

The reason I ask is I am having a discussion about this with a guy and he says it is possible.

I said no, just because of the fact a fireball won't do much to armour, and shooting it isn't likely to ignite it.

Anyone know for sure?

I'm positive no tank was destroyed by their fuel tanks. Honestly I think if a tank was destroyed as a result of someone shooting the tank, the tankers would have taken them off. Plus in all the books I've read, I've never heard of a commander saying "shoot at the fuel tanks, that will damage the tank".

On a final note most tanks back then used diesel fuel which dosn't burn so easily. So a rifle shot wouldn't even ignite the fuel most likely.

I guess you mean the barrels that you see sometimes on the back of Soviet tanks. They were extra tanks like drop tanks and could be dropped before combat.

The actual tanks were under the armor with the rest of the tank's working parts. If you hit them you could cause an explosion that could indeed kill the tank. Most likely thought you would spill the fuel and kill the engine. Just as hitting the oil supply will cause the engine to sieze eventually.