What type of maps do you prefer/would like to see more of?

I play a lot of TCP/IP and PBEM games and sometimes the generated maps are . . . interesting. So I went map shopping and saw that while there were a bunch out there, there was not as many as I thought there was going to be. So I am going to try my hand at making a few maps.

So my question is what type of map you prefer? What type of maps would you like to see more of?

I personally prefer wilderness maps, especially ones focusing on a small village. Urban sprawls are not really my taste. I love the 'take and hold village' types of battles.

Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Chad

Chad,

I too like the little hamlet, usually at a crossroads, surrounded by moderate to heavy trees.

Good for attack/defend and meeting engagements.

Also makes me more careful with my AFVs. You never know who could be lurking in those trees.....

Cheers,

Jason

I want to see more maps the QB map generator can't do.

Convincing looking cities (like CMBO 'A walk in Paris'), special terrain features ( gullies, cliffs, peninsulas, etc.), and recognizable objectives (chateaus, airfields, railroad yards, etc.), and accurate true-scale real locations.

All praise to the excellent map generator, but after playing my fiftieth QB map I'm starting to want some novelty.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

All praise to the excellent map generator, but after playing my fiftieth QB map I'm starting to want some novelty.

Your not the only one. Elevated roads are something I like in games also, but the generator always has too much fun with roads, but not in a good way!

Chad

FWIW I recently posted a town map to the Scenario Depot; it's called Vital Junction. It's based on old photos and maps of my hometown, so is quite realistic, at least if you were to transport a 1920s California farm town to the Eastern Front! smile.gif It's setup for an Axis assault, but the setup zones can be easily changed if you want to go the other way, or do some city fighting.

Mapmaking is fun and originally I thought I would be making lots of them, but it took a lot of hours to satisfy myself with this one, my first. I'll probably produce some more eventually but it'll be a while. So, Chad, if you want to take on the challenge I'd like some village or rural maps for attack and defense, with some covered approaches, maybe 1800 by 1200m....I like to have some elbow room! And thanks for asking!

[edited map size request...original 2400x1800 included knee and hip room!]

[ May 29, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: SFJaykey ]