American and Commonwealth Tactics on Sicily through German eyes

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

...liederhosen wasn't the national garb of the entire German nation.

Of course not. That honor belonged to the Swiss. I thought everyone knew that! ;)

Whatever happened to the encyclopedia salesman, I wonder, with the advent of the Internet....
I don't know about that, but wasn't the Britannica one of the first to go onto CD-ROM?

Michael

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Which beaches? In the photos I've seen, only the eastern (British) beaches had noticable shingle. The American beaches appear to be mostly if not all sand.

Michael

Omaha had a layer of shingle just below the sea wall. Utah was a nice gentle slope into the flooded fields beyond.

[ May 08, 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: sgtgoody (esq) ]

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Which beaches? In the photos I've seen, only the eastern (British) beaches had noticable shingle. The American beaches appear to be mostly if not all sand.

Michael

Omaha had a layer of shingle just below the sea wall.</font>

The site Mike linked on page 1 of this thread

( Here it is again ) has three reports on interviews by the official historian, Major Stacey, with returnees from JUBILEE, as well as three reports assessing the operation. I somehow doubt the latter reports are weeing on Mountbatten's cornflakes to anywhere near the degree he deserves though.

[ May 10, 2003, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

Stacey wrote a pretty good autobiography, too, that is worth a read called A DATE WITH HISTORY. Talks a bit about the historical process and how he wrote the official Army histories after the war, and some of the behind the scenes stuff that happened with the more controversial episodes he had to cover (such as Verrierres Ridge).