Peculiar S&S behavior

I gave a Shoot and Scoot order to a Nashorn. It moved forward alright, but instead of of halting and firing, it proceeded to turn slowly in place, then advance slightly back the way it had come, then rotate some more untill an opposing tank shot it in the ass. No more Nashorn.

I reloaded the saved turn to check and make sure that I had in fact given it an S&S order and not something else, but there was no mistake on my part. I even did it over again by erasing the existing order and giving it a fresh S&S and it still did the same damn thing. Finally I simply canceled that part of its orders and had it sit out the turn. At that point it was late, so I don't know what it will do when I give it its next set of orders. Sure was strange...

:confused:

Michael

Originally posted by Panzer Boxb:

Michael,

Could it have been the TacAI taking over when it spotted the threat?

It never did that before, and believe me, there've been plenty of threats! Besides, presenting your rear to the enemy is not exactly great defensive behavior. A simple reverse would have gotten him out of trouble a lot faster.

smile.gif

Michael

I had similarly uncharacteristic behavior during a TCP game yesterday. The AI backed a T-34 away from a long-range threat, which was smarter than my decision to duke it out. But when it got to the road it rotated butt-first as if it intended to drive down the road out of trouble, in LOS, instead of reverse. Since it was a Green crew and it was light snow I didn't think too much of it when it got toasted in the side as it turned, but maybe there was something to it.

On the other hand, a Green crew steering a T-34 on a snowy road can't be easy either.

No save since it was TCP.

-dale

I didn't buy it. It came with the scenario. And anyway it couldn't have been too gamey since these guys (veteran) can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn and if you even spit in their direction it gets a penetration. Plus, the driver on this one seems to have collapsed over the steering gear.

;)

Michael

[ September 30, 2002, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

I had that happen in a game a few days back

I gave a tank a "Shoot & Scoot" order

expecting it to reverse away

instead the tank turned tail to move away

I thought I had expected the wrong behavior

until I read the manual

and found it was really supposed to reverse

Just as a follow up, I reloaded the turn in question and gave the vehicle more room to get into position—that is, a longer run before it arrived at the end of its scoot order—and the problem went away.

I had had it running parallel to the front at fast speed and then making a 90° left turn onto its scoot order, then arriving at the end of its scoot leg after only traveling about a vehicle length and a half. After I changed that so that the scoot leg was about three vehicles length after making the turn, it behaved just fine.

smile.gif

Michael

Mike,

The shoot and scoot order is really a two pronged order. It appears that your Nashorn commander, while attempting to carry out the "shoot" order of the shoot and scoot command suddenly realized that he didn't have a revolving turret. At this point while already carrying out the "scoot" command the vehicle rotated and the commander of the Nashorn ultimately ended up carrying out the "Shoot me in the Ass" command.

Uhhhh....just kidding. At least you were smart enough to save the turn in question.

• 1 year later...

I've seen this same "shoot & rotate" behaviour a couple of times too, always with fatal results. And these were tanks with turrets too (and they did not fire when rotating even though the gun remained pointing at the target - argh!!!)

The suggestion above that this happens when the "shoot" part of the orders is short may on target, so to speak; in both my cases that was indeed the case.

Seems like a bug though.