Clearing mines with satchel charges

I'm in a scenario where I have to cross minefields with infantry. I have engineer squads with satchel charges. I already know that, in general, they will spontaneously clear mines if they are nearby, and I've seen it happen randomly from time to time.

My question is, under exactly what conditions will they do this, and under what conditions will they sit with their thumbs up their proverbials and watch the minefield, as mine are doing?

[Edit to add: game is CMAK]

Do they need to be in command? How close do they need to be to the mines, and as measured to what point? Will they not throw satchels if too close, and how close is that? What about other nearby units? Are there any conditions under which they will automatically refuse to clear mines? How long does it take for them to remember their jobs, and what affects that time?

They have to be within tossing distance, but not so close that the blast endangers them or another friendly unit. Don't know off the top of my head what the range is. A couple of quick tests should answer it for you.

Enemy fire, even if only a nuisance, will delay their mineclearing duties.

Being in command helps, as does experience level.

I'm currently playing a scenario where some mines have to be cleared. I have a pioneer squad sitting approximately 10 meters from a mine marker. They've been there for about 6 or 7 turns, doing nothing. They're a veteran squad, within command, not under fire, and positioned in scattered trees. I don't think the satchels affect local friendly units when they're thrown at a mine marker, either. I've had tank crews lying near an AT mine marker when it was cleared by a satchel and they weren't affected at all. Buildings are another, painful matter. Heh.

one thing that never ceases to amuse me is the randomness of mine clearing.as shmavis commented,sometimes engineer squads will sit looking at a minefield with no other unit in close proximity and ignore it.other times an engineer squad,being micromanaged,with a complex movement order to reach a minefield will toss its last charge at another minefield it is passing when you have already detailed that minefields destruction to another squad.

i've even seen engineers that are cautious and crawling away from an arty ranging shot throw their charge and clear a mine.

with regard to the proximity of other units,i've only had a problem with casulties from the charge blast when the engineer squad has been ordered to target the minefield.

Originally posted by bitchen frizzy:

Do they need to be in command? How close do they need to be to the mines, and as measured to what point? Will they not throw satchels if too close, and how close is that? What about other nearby units? Are there any conditions under which they will automatically refuse to clear mines? How long does it take for them to remember their jobs, and what affects that time?

The distance is 25m (max).

The manual also says "The number of engineers and their experience affect their speed in clearing mines. Generally a near full squad is needed to accomplish clearing a particular mined area."

And all that condition stuff will apply as well (pinned, cautious, etc.).

I've noticed that often the first satchel gets tossed fairly quickly, like within the first minute or two, but the next one often takes longer.

If you have a reduced squad with a satchel or just tired of waiting, you can target the ground and hope the explosion does the job.

Not certain, but the presence of friendlies in the area might inhibit the action. This is definately not true ALL the time. :eek:

Be careful of nearby buildings as well. The blast could take them down. I had an engineer unit inside a house, toss a satchel at an anti-tank mine to clear it. The explosion brought the house down on top of them and killed all but two of the squad. Briliant!

The manual doesn't state it... but 10 meters might be too close. They might injure themselves with the blast. Move back 10 meters.

Originally posted by Sgt AA:

One bad thing with targeting the minefield is that the squad often empty their ammo as well.

True. They might have fixed this in CMAK. I've noticed that the engineers will take one rifle shot at the mines. In CMBB, I know they just keep firing away.

Anyone know if this is correct?