No OS X Support!

Noooooooooooooo!

Afrika Korps looks good for a 5 year old engine. I'm actually surprised BTS elected to continue development.

Again, I must lurk until the next release of Combat Mission 1-2 years down the line.

It's a real shame about the lack of OS X support and it's hilarious that BTS isn't coding for the most modern OS on the market. It's missing an opportunity in not updating and you PC users should be upset that BTS is continuing development on this older engine rather then focusing on what available now.

I have dreams of playing CM on a Dual G4 and Combat Mission uses both processors and is coded to use Altivec for the math calculations. This system processes a turn in 2 seconds, while ripping a CD and burning a DVD in the background and is still responsive. I have another dream of quad IBM PPC 970's playing CM that displays every man and has per pixel lighting but thats another story.

Well anyway I just thought I'd let myself beheard. Bring on the PC trolls.

:drools and limps back to where he came from::

:(

All I can say it that I am sick of all this... oh its not in OSX whining. :rolleyes: Its using the same game engine what did you expect? I just hope that CMX2 is still 0S9x compatible because I am not going to upgrade to OSX any time soon. Not enough money to go out and buy all new programs again just because Apple put out an OS that doesn't run "all" programs that ran on the last one. (Such as RAVE) Apple is getting more like Windows all that time... :(

[ April 07, 2003, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Originally posted by Colin:

you PC users should be upset that BTS is continuing development on this older engine rather then focusing on what available now.

Boy am I upset... I get another game within a year, while development continues on what is yet to be available. That's the beauty of it... this "older engine*" is available now.

*aka: a thing of beauty in it's own right

Originally posted by Panzerman:

All I can say it that I am sick of all this... oh its not in OSX whining. :rolleyes: Its using the same game engine what did you expect? I just hope that CMX2 is still 0S9x compatible because I am not going to upgrade to OSX any time soon. Not enough money to go out and buy all new programs again just because Apple put out an OS that doesn't run "all" programs that ran on the last one. (Such as RAVE) Apple is getting more like Windows all that time... :(

thats a good point:

"Not enough money to go out and buy all new programs again just because Apple put out an OS that doesn't run "all" programs that ran on the last one. (Such as RAVE) Apple is getting more like Windows all that time"

There is something to that

OSX means you need to BUY ALL new software and that's where the whole "upgrade cycle" problem lies :eek: you have to buy everthing software and hardware NEW again to stay up to date and current

So the situation with CMAK is understandable in that regard smile.gif

-tom w

[ April 07, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Personally I'd like to have CMX2 a year earlier then a continuation of this engine. BTS is a small, talented, devoted crew and an undertaking like CMAK takes lots of effort and research.

This is time better spent elsewhere, I think BTS knows it.

Maybe there wouldn't be issues with Nvidia fog if the game was programmed for a recent version of DirectX rather then what was available in 1998.

This game has been begging for an engine overhaul for ages.

Why do you have to buy all new software? OpenOffice and MacGIMP are great office suite/photoeditors. You guys need to experience real multitasking (and i'm on a G3/400. I can't imagine a dual G4/1.42).

Colin, just in case you didnt notice Martins comments, CMAK being worked on at the same time and CMX2's development, so there will be no delay in the new engine becuase of this. Unfortunately we cannot change the direction taken with the newer Mac operating systems though, that is out of our control.

Dan

Okay, you said there will be no delay in the new engine. That's all I'm worried about. I'm just looking forward to whatever I can play in OS X. I'm glad to hear that from you. Who knows maybe CMAK will make me go back and boot into OS9. Hell, CMBO draws me in from time to time.

Kwazy, I know you are an artist. I'm surprised you don't use a Mac. You guys have always had great support and I'm glad to see a BTS official answer so quickly.

Beautiful.

I love you guys. GL on CMAK and I'll see you all when CMX2 comes out for Mac OS X.