CMx2, BF.C, and the Forum

BF.C,

We're all eagerly waiting for whatever CMx2 may be. We know you guys are hard at work on it. In fact, a lot of us are trying to help. We do that by posting various ideas about CMx2 here.

It's time to consolidate all the different thoughts for additional features, units, improvements, etc.

Can we start a Forum dedicated solely to CMx2? That way players can post an idea and not have it get lost in the various threads about active games and issues.

A dedicated CMx2 Forum. My heart sings at the thought. Imagine, as Charles gets bored and doesn't know what else to code, all he needs to do is browse the CMx2 Forum for innovative ideas. Accept or reject them as his whim dictates.

A dedicated CMx2 Forum. It could even have dedicated threads to interface issues, models, mods, language, armor penetration algorithms, etc.

A dedicated CMx2 Forum. It begs to be brought into this world, springing forth, fully formed from the forehead of Zeus. Or whatnot.

A dedicated CMx2 Forum. We need it. You want it. Let's do it.

Thanks,

Ken

The problem is we'd be giving advice in a vacuum. We could very well be making suggestions on improving their apples while they're busy working on oranges (if I may be allowed to butcher a metaphor ;) ).

What would be helpful is if BFC were to throw out a couple basic game engine bones on the subject so we would at least have a clue what we're giving advice about. But do they want to risk telling us what they're up to when it means telling the competition what they're up to too?

MikeyD,

But how many apples or oranges does it take to fill a vacuum? ;)

Seriously, it's not putting ideas out into a vacuum. It's an open loop communication. Sure, they may be working on oranges at the time that apples are in vogue on the (drum roll) CMx2 Forum, but when they go back to apples, there'll be some fresh ideas out to look at.

A coherent set of ideas, collated in a single easily searched area, could not help but be useful to BF.C.

I do not think this would be a fruitless endeavor! (Okay, that was a bad pun on top of a butchered metaphor. I had to.)

Ken

It is wayyyyyyy too early in the process to do anything even close to this. Remember, the engine is being re-built from scratch, and there is one brain in a jar coding it. All it would do at this time is create noise..

When the time comes, I am sure suggestions will be asked for.

Rune

When the time comes, such an idea would be great. As it stands now, some discussions and good ideas could get easily lost in the endless amount of threads and posts. Besides, the Brain in the Jar doesn't have to read the forum.

smile.gif

Between now and then (whenever then may be) BFC may hold a staff meeting in a smoke-filled, dimly lit office with the topic on the table: "Are we doing this new game engine to make the best wargames possible, or are we in it to make BFC the most money possible?"

So far they've kept thier integrety, and hopefully the two goals aren't mutually exclusive. But they've got no impediment to turning the next game engine into "Duke Nukem Meets Rommel" if they think there's a market. its our job, as fans, to assure them that intergrety and profitability can coexist.

Gentlemen,

It is hard for me to keep up with the amount of support coming in for THE DEDICATED CMX2 FORUM. If I do not address your concerns specifically, it is due to the overwhelming influx of emails.

It is NEVER too early to help mold the intentions of our esteemed and august game designers. The very time to field ideas for the new engine is BEFORE the new engine is encoded.

Haven't we heard an outcry for a convoy command? We're told, "Good idea, but the current engine cannot support it." Prophetic words, indeed. Are we to wait until AFTER the next engine is encoded before we request what it can do?

Nay, the time to bend them to our will is now! Er, I mean, this is a good time to offer suggestions. smile.gif

Imagine if, when BF.C gathers in that smoky room around the table upon which sits the brain in the jar, they already have many innovative ideas, designs, and wishes from their customer base?

The public cries out for a dedicated CMx2 Forum. The time is now.

Thank you,

Ken

Originally posted by c3k:

It is NEVER too early to help mold the intentions of our esteemed and august game designers. The very time to field ideas for the new engine is BEFORE the new engine is encoded.

Amen, Hear-hear (or whatever)

Haven't we heard an outcry for a convoy command? We're told, "Good idea, but the current engine cannot support it." Prophetic words, indeed. Are we to wait until AFTER the next engine is encoded before we request what it can do?

...And don't forget to add the parameters for Quick Battle reinforcement.

Sincerely,

The Peanut Gallery

Actually, let ME say it officially. TOO EARLY for a CMX2 forum.

After over 3 years of developement and time spent in the CMBO, CMBB, CMAK, we are pretty well set with what we want to do in CMX2.

Does that mean we don't want to hear your idea's for CMX2. Um, yeah it sorta does, at least not yet. ;)

Madmatt