At what if any range can a T-34 85 engage a King Tiger ?

I played a meeting engagement in which I took 12 t-34 85s against 3 King Tigers .I was able to get many shoots from within 100 meters but was only able to take out one King Tiger ,Most of my shoots broke up .Now did I have really bad luck or is the King Tiger that Invunerable ?I am not saying what happened was not realistic I am jus asking .

[ April 13, 2003, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Hannibal ]

Side and rear shots only, and always engage with 2(or greater) to 1 odds. I usually play Germans and I use the KT a lot and I got one taken out by a (admittedly sweet) flank shot into the back of a rotated turret from 400m away by a (conscript) T-34/85 yesterday. I thought I was invulnerable at that distance, and I was very wrong.

Zimorodok

Originally posted by Zimorodok:

Side and rear shots only, and always engage with 2(or greater) to 1 odds. I usually play Germans and I use the KT a lot and I got one taken out by a (admittedly sweet) flank shot into the back of a rotated turret from 400m away by a (conscript) T-34/85 yesterday. I thought I was invulnerable at that distance, and I was very wrong.

Zimorodok

The KT only has 80mm side and rear armor (about 30 degrees slope) With standard AP rounds the T-34/85, ISU-122, and ISU-152 can penatrate that much armor at up to 1000 meters.

A flanked Kitty is a dead Kitty...

I also find, for most Russian/German armor matchups, the Russian player is better off choosing Green tanks (this will probably come as no surprise). Whether it's T-34/76s vs. StuGs or T-34/85s vs. Tiger IIs, the Russians need to close and flank to be effective, and having a larger number of tanks makes that easier. It doesn't matter how accurate or how fast your crack T-34 can fire if he's 1000 meters in front of a KT. On the other hand, green tankers don't miss much at 500 meters, and even conscripts can hit reliably at 200-300 meter range. Also, having more tanks (assuming that they can fire at the same target) *sort of* makes up for having a slower ROF due to an inexperienced crew.