Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Rom/Finn Colors/Markings?

Anyone have any info or resources on this?

Did the Romanian Army just put their Tac Markings over the paint job that came with captured equipment, or did it have a color &/or Camo pattern it painted it's Armor? Also wondering if there were any Markings used other than those that come on the stock BB Graphics, which I'm assuming are historical.

Are there any references for the actual Colors used in the Finn Camo? Were vehicles ever painted just the Green? I have modern pics of a Finn Vickers that is Green & has White & Blue bands around the Turret, but I don't know if that's how it might of looked in WWII.

Thanks

strt

mchlstart,

Doubtless lots of other references exist, but this one will definitely help:

THE EASTERN FRONT: Armour Camouflage and Markings, 1941 to 1945, Steven Zaloga and James Grandsen, Arms and Armour Press, 1983, ISBN 0-83568-583-5

Zaloga's fluent in Russian and Polish, is an acknowledged Slavic & Russian armor expert and crack modeler too. Grandsen is the pen name of a now deceased Polish national who was an armor expert.

Romanians, Finns, Hungarians, even Yugoslavians and other surprises are all there in addition to the Russians, Germans, and Italians.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John Kettler

I think nearly all Finnish late war tanks had camo pattern on them, but in 1941 they were in plain colour as far as I can tell from the b&w, (mostly) bad quality photos that I've seen. Your Vickers description definately sounds like early war, and those stripes make me think it's a Winter War (1939-40) era scheme. As shown here:

16100701.jpg

For photos from Parola Armour Museum like the one above, go to www.andreaslarka.net

JK,

Thanks. Do you happen to know a good source for this? My 'hometown' (I'm in NYC) Military Bookseller is going out of business, & this seems to be an unfortunate trend.

Sergei,

Yes, that's the very vehicle I was referring to. I hit Andreas' site a long time ago on a link to a link to a link sorta deal, & saved a couple of pics. I hadn't been able to find it since, thanks for the 'direct' Link. So do you think a 'Winter War' version of the Finn T-26s based on this scheme would be a good idea?

strt

Originally posted by mchlstrt:

Sergei,

Yes, that's the very vehicle I was referring to. I hit Andreas' site a long time ago on a link to a link to a link sorta deal, & saved a couple of pics. I hadn't been able to find it since, thanks for the 'direct' Link. So do you think a 'Winter War' version of the Finn T-26s based on this scheme would be a good idea?

strt

In that case maybe do it as a winter camo version. The summer version never was seen in battle as such, although the winter version didn't have much more success:

VickersWreck.jpg

Or, alternatively, just leave out the stripes and make an Early Continuation War mod.

JK,

AbeBooks turned up 13 copies. Good Site to know about, thanks.

Sergei,

Is what I'm seeing in that pic a whitewashed Tank with a fairly wide Blue Stripe, or is that just a shadow? And if I understand correctly the 'Summer Version' would just be a plain Green Tank for Winter War/Early War. Do you know if the later Camo was whitewashed for Winter? Figure I might as well be as historically correct as I can manage.

strt

Originally posted by mchlstrt:

Sergei,

Is what I'm seeing in that pic a whitewashed Tank with a fairly wide Blue Stripe, or is that just a shadow? And if I understand correctly the 'Summer Version' would just be a plain Green Tank for Winter War/Early War. Do you know if the later Camo was whitewashed for Winter? Figure I might as well be as historically correct as I can manage.

strt

Unfortunately the only other photo of winter war Vickers I have around is also of a poor quality and b&w, so it's really difficult to tell. I also don't know what the late war winter scheme was like, because I have seen very little photo material about Vickers/T-26 light tanks. And because these tanks only saw action during the mid- to late 1941, and then again in the summer of 1944, of that little material most are from summer to fall of 1941, then some white washed in December 1941, and the next photos you can see are already from the summer of 1944 with camo patterns. The periods 1942-1943 were times of static warfare.

But maybe someone can enlighten you better.

There is also some info here:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/veijju/mil00.html

This would be THE book for Finnish armour, though:

Suomalaiset panssarivaunut 1918-1997 (The Finnish armoured vehicles) by Esa Muikku and Jukka Purhonen (Apali Oy, ISBN 952-5026-09-4)

Excellent reference book with over 340 black and white pictures and 16 colour pages. All information is both in Finnish and English

Cheers,

M.S.

I found a better photo of the Winter War camo from the Muikku's book. It was like the normal scheme, except that all the green parts were white. The white however was a bit different shade from the country insignia stripes which were brighter. The stripes are 10 cm in width.

There weren't any pictures of T-26's in other than whitewashed winter camo; however, there were a couple of T-34 photos with more special winter patterns, like one with white "tiger stripes". Can't scan them, though, because the only unborrowed copy was in the reference section of the library.