ATI Card/Afrika Korps/Fog/Dust.....

I know the ATI fog issue has been beat to death to a degree, and here goes again...

I assume there will be fog as a condition for Afrika Korps, and as I understand, dust. Is the ATI card still not going to render it for Afrika Korps?

I have read the "reasons" why CMBB doesn't render fog with an ATI card, and because I am not technical enough, I don't care and don't understand (don't waste time here trying to make me understand, it's economics now for me).

I really really really like the fog, and may end up getting a new card just to support it, however, all my other games that have fog, do just fine. I am a raging enough capitalist to understand that if it is too tough an issue to work around for the money, ok. On the other hand, it seems there are alot of people with ATI cards.

However, to the developers I say this...

You have done such an awesome f**king job with the game that you have a following of people who will understand if you can't do anything about this. I will not give up the game or not buy things because of a card, because I trust you and love what you created. So the pain is not enough for me to give up the game. I ask/beg/flirt/bribe you to do something which will allow us to use ATI cards...if not....

How does one use two different cards on the same machine, because I want my fog and the cards are cheap.

SgtAbell

ATI cards (Radeons) will support the dust/smoke that CMAK will have, but fog will continue to be unsupported for ATI cards on the PC.

CMX2, which may be coded in OpenGL for both Mac and PC, might allow for ATI cards to support fog (on the PC - on the Mac this hasn't been an issue) by using a different method to draw fog. The flip side of this is that older cards may not support this newer fog type (which is what a number of other games on the market use), but that becomes less and less of an issue as most people upgrade their video cards or laptops in the coming years. On top of this is the fact that there are fewer video chipset manufacturers in the market, which makes it a bit easier to focus your development to support a majority of the market.

Using two video cards on a PC is somewhat of a hassle (there can be incompatibility problems, etc.). They can either be both PCI or one can be PCI and one can be AGP. However it's getting harder to find PCI cards (there are far fewer of them sold now and they're ironically more expensive for the same card). CM can work with two different cards to my knowledge (appearing on only one of them). However there are so many possible problems (secondary ATI cards won't support 3D games, etc.) and little details that it would be far easier to just swap AGP cards (permanently or semi-permanently) and stick to a single video card in your system. If you want the full range of effects in CMBO, CMBB & CMAK, then a GeForce card is your best bet (though they obviously still have problems too).

[ July 13, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

ATI cards (Radeons) will support the dust/smoke that CMAK will have, but fog will continue to be unsupported for ATI cards on the PC.

I wonder how much relative development time it'd take to add vertex fog option for ATI cards.. About the same as preparing a single 3D model?

[ July 15, 2003, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: Barleyman ]

Originally posted by Barleyman:

I wonder how much relative development time it'd take to add vertex fog option for ATI cards.. About the same as preparing a single 3D model?

Seems BTS doesn't care about ATI-card users. :mad:

IMO this isn't very clever.