Turn processing – how long do you usually take?

Hi all,

I have a question I wanted to ask for some time.

How long do you usually take to play your PBEM turns? In my case it really is variable. I sometimes take 10-20 minutes and sometimes take 2-3 minutes (the average I suppose for me is 5-8 minutes. But I am a new PBEM player (playing for about 2 months now). So it’s not that I always strategize. I sometimes become confused over a single unit’s move for quite a long time and keep hesitating. I read in one of Fionn’s AARs that he gets an overview of the map and what he needs to do next in 1-2 minutes. Then he spends 2-3 minutes placing the orders. That’s really incredible. I guess that comes with experience. For me it isn’t really that easy. Sometimes I ask myself if I’m strategizing or just pretending to. One phenomenon that is nearly completely eliminated now is ‘forgetting’. Initially, when I started my PBEM gaming, I used to ‘forget’ things and would only remember them once the turn movie started to show. But now it just doesn’t happen. I would also take this chance to ask you for tips on how to perceive the overall map situation efficiently and how to plan my moves. Your tips would be most welcome! It’s much more rewarding when you see a well planned turn play out successfully.

This will be very diferent for everyone. Depending on the map size, amount of units, the type of gameplay and if you're the offender or defender.

Especially the gameplay is important.

I know I have been playing PBEM with huge maps where a turn could take 2 hours. It's the highly detailed planning and analyzing the flow of the battle that will take that long. Some might find that to gamey, but you can see it like a chess game.... time is needed... or nights thinking about it.... smile.gif

The good thing about CM is that you can give orders to cover several turns at once. That way you don't have to re-issue orders to all units every turn. What matters is that you've got a plan. It doesn't have to be sophisticated, just that you keep focused on something because that way you will reach your objectives. If you have a different goal every minute, you will never reach any of them.

Sergei -

I don't think the CM command system is that flexible. Sure, you can plan ahead, and even fine tune your commands a bit (shifting waypoints), but I find the most difficult problem to be timing. There should be a "wait for go" order, meaning that when traversing the waypoints, the ordered squad would stop at a given location, and not move 'til given "the go".

This way you could set up a long string of waypoints, and still be insured that your troops will not walk by themselves to enemy fortifications if the rest of your troops are delayed due to enemy actions.