Success with Mapping Mission

I successfully translated a 1x1km height map (just the contours, no terrain) in Mapping Mission and send the stuff over to CMBB. However, larger maps don´t work and it appears to be the known NVidia drivers problem (me is using a NVidia GeForce4 MX 440 card with driver version 40.72). Would an older driver version for my graphics card enable me to create at least 2x2km maps (or larger)? :confused:

Problem: Where to get an old driver? Just checked the web without success. :(

Finally converting the CMBB map to CMAK with "Map Converter 1.29" went smoothly. smile.gif

For the future that means I´ll produce some CMAK (NWE) scenarios with highly realistic terrain data, made from my digital topo maps.

Btw, I found that the "CM level mode: 0-19" in Options menu of Mapping Mission works best for my purposes. Also I´ve not yet worked with the "Load terrain from bitmap file" (beside "...elevations from bitmap file"), but will do for my next map projects in sequence.

Conclusion so far: Need a map made in Mapping Mission to be available in CMAK too, use Map Converter.

Big thanks to Mr.Tankersley and also the creator of Map Converter! smile.gif

Originally posted by Renaud:

Cool stuff.

What's the format of the digital topo maps? Garmin GPS topo? What gradient do you use (1.25, 2.5, etc) or does mapping mission determine that when you do the conversion?

Load from bitmap file...wow, I wonder how that could work.

Can´t tell what the internal 3D format data is. Need to check the docs of the application again. However, it lets me see digital maps in various formats including "contour only" and that stuff. Here´s a link to the german website selling the program (sorry, german only):

http://www.lverma.nrw.de/produkte/topographische_karten/cd_rom/top50_v4/Top50_v4.htm

I use 5m gradients since my map is very hilly and height difference is close to 100m between lowest and highest map point, so 5m gives me just what I need.

I have to edit the final contour map so the "CM 0-19" height mode works smoothly (all values go from RGB 0,0,0 to RGB 19,19,19).

You can see the final scenario soon. I´m currently doing the usual test works, balancing ect. smile.gif

Doh! I did not think of the obvious! :rolleyes: ...just checking the CD that came packaged with my graphics card. Installed that again (version 28.32), but the problem remained. :( As soon as I try to transfer larger maps greater than 1x1km, the map gets corrupted in CMBB and MM simply hangs. Setting export speed (slower or faster) to different vlaues does not matter either

Heeeelp! :eek: :(

Harry, you might try the 30.82 drivers for your card. I was able to use MM to transfer maps larger than 2x2 km with the same card. After upgrading to a better card no such luck. At the time I was running a p4 2.6 and an MX 440 with windows XP home edition.

[ November 28, 2005, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Turbo ]

You can also use map converter to put several of your smaller maps together into a larger map smile.gif

This will at least give you a work around for your problem.

I've taken pieces out of old maps and put them together to make new maps, without the need of redoing from scratch. If I have a map with a nice estate, I can reuse that estate in other maps by simply using map converter to grab that piece of the map and put it on the new map where I want it. Works really well once you get the hang of it.

lee smile.gif

Originally posted by Turbo:

Harry, you might try the 30.82 drivers for your card. I was able to use MM to transfer maps larger than 2x2 km with the same card. After upgrading to a better card no such luck. At the time I was running a p4 2.6 and an MX 440 with windows XP home edition.

Already did a net search dor these drivers, but where do you find "old" drivers nowadays? :eek:

I still have an old 3dFX card. Might try that just for the purpose of making some maps...and then change back to my NVidia card. We´ll see. :eek:

Originally posted by LeeW:

You can also use map converter to put several of your smaller maps together into a larger map smile.gif

I've taken pieces out of old maps and put them together to make new maps, without the need of redoing from scratch. If I have a map with a nice estate, I can reuse that estate in other maps by simply using map converter to grab that piece of the map and put it on the new map where I want it. Works really well once you get the hang of it.

lee smile.gif

Oh, I´ve not yet checked those possibilities! Didn´t even know Map Converter is capable of doing this! :eek: Thanks, will try! :cool:

Originally posted by LeeW:

lee smile.gif

Thank you very much LeeW! smile.gif That works for me! :cool: :cool: :cool:

For those who already worked with both applications (MM and MC) Here´s how I go:

"File/New map" in Mapping Mission with size 52 (1040m). Then "Load Terrrain from bitmap file/Load elevations from Bitmap file", as well as "Load underlay" Bitmap. Make necessary edits in Mapping Mission, like adding woods, roads ect. Then (with CMBB active application) do the export from Mapping Mission with the following settings:

CM Level Mode 0-19

CM Editor Resolution 1024x768

Export Delay 5 seconds

Constrain Export to CM resolution

Export Speed = 20

Export as operation Map (North-South)

When the mapping mission is completed in CMBB (MM finished sending all data over), then there is two ways how to keep going. Either do save the map in CMBB now and redo the above steps (making more 52x52 tile maps) in Mapping Mission, OR launch up Map Converter AND CMAK as further active applications (once running, CMBB does not need the CD to operate so you can open CMBB and CMAK both at the same time).

With CMBB map editor (now containing the previously exported 1040x1040m map) the active application I made following settings in Map Converter:

Check: "Write Terrain" and "Write Elevations"

(don´t need setup zones which are messed anyway so "Write Setup z." keeps unchecked)

Check: "Write to a part of the map?"

(I want to paste four CMBB 1040x1040m maps into a larger 2080x2080m map in CMAK!)

To place the 1040x1040m CMBB map #1 into the lower right hand corner,

check and set:

From (in meter)

lower left X: 0

corner y 0

upper right X 1040

corner Y 1040

To (in meters)

Corner Y 0

Now hit the "Read CMBB V1.03" button to let Map Converter read the CMBB map data. That might take 1-2 minutes depending upon map size, amount of terrain data ect.

After successfull reading, hit "Write CMAK V1.03" to send the map data over to CMAK (still active in map editor "mode").

To transfer/paste maps #2-4 from Map Converter to CMAK,

set and check:

Map #2 (goes in lower right section of the large CMAK map)

To (in meters)

lower left X: 1040

Corner Y 0

Map #3 (goes in upper left section of the large CMAK map)

To (in meters)

Corner Y 1040

Map #4 (goes in upper right section of the large CMAK map)

To (in meters)

lower left X: 1040

Corner Y 1040

I worked in counterclock wise order, but off course any other sequence works as well.

Generally this is what it means "get the hang of it"!

As said, due to the GC´s driver (??) problems I could not get larger maps transfered from Mapping Mission to CMBB and 1040x1040m maps was the largest chunks I got to work. Also handling of ~1x1 km maps is quite comfortable when it comes to plan ahead and finally paste larger maps in CMAK with Map Converter.

Now I can make great use of my digital topo maps! Thanks again creators of MM and MC! smile.gif ..and a special thanks to LeeW pointing me to the right direction! smile.gif

PS: Map Converter worked quite smoothly, but Mapping Mission (V 1.11) provided a few problems:

Not regarding transfer of large maps does not work (for me), I would wish for an option to switch the "Tool Palette" on/off, since it´s in the way oftentimes when doing certain actions. "Map underlay" oftentimes cause MM to become very sticky (slow) when painting terrain on top. Sometimes the whole program hangs. Also need to "select all" when trying to load an "underlay bitmap". Didn´t figure another method to get it to work. "Underlay Brightness" does not work at all.

After loading an "elevations bitmap" file, MM creates a disturbing row of height 255 (19) tiles at the lower edge of the map, which needs to be edited or removed manually, either in MM or CMBB.

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

RockinHarry,

see my announcement in http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=53;t=000044;p=2#000040

I believe that Mapping Mission v1.12 may fix the problem you have been seeing.

Great! :cool: This will be a very nice christmas present for the map making community Leland! smile.gif

Hi!

Old, but never finished story.

Changes in 1.11 (released 28 April 2005)

* fixed a bug that could cause internal data corruption (resulting in a variety of symptoms,

including the map being displayed as all white) tied to an internal directory path variable.

* fixed a couple of bugs in operation map export logic. This required the addition of a

second operation map menu choice in the Options menu. For proper export of operations maps,

you must specify whether the operation is oriented east-west or north-south (this setting

corresponds to the "Attacker direction" setting in the CM Operation Parameters screen).

L.Tankersley

Member # 1075

posted 2005-06-05 16:24

-------------------------------------------------

Well, I tried exporting it and there's definitely something wrong somewhere. The most glaring problem is the height of the exported map: 4920 meters vice 4000. I'll try to dig into that and see what's going on.

--------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Perhaps it's fixed already?