Please close this topic.

<HR><table width="80%" border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2"><tr> <td width="10%"><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox" value="checkbox" disabled></div></td><td width="90%"><s>Horses (with or without wagons)</s></td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox2" value="checkbox"></div></td><td>Motorcycles</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox3" value="checkbox" disabled></div></td><td><s>Bicycles</s></td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox43" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Antitank objects (Concrete Pillars, Steel Crosses etc..)</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox42" value="checkbox" disabled></div></td><td><s>Bulldozers</s></td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox4" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Closed trucks (with canvas)</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox5" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Train Station</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox6" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>2 meters tall stone walls</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"> <input type="checkbox" name="checkbox7" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Telephone poles</td></tr><tr> <td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox8" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Stairs for slopes</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox9" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Dirt tiles</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox102" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Abby's / Cloisters</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox103" value="checkbox"></div></td><td>A Real dropping of paratroopers (falling out of the sky)</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"> <input type="checkbox" name="checkbox10" value="checkbox"></div></td><td>On map artillery (for use with target referention points)</td></tr></table><HR>

[ August 15, 2003, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Pak40:

...no commander would ask a soldier to kill himself just to radio what types of tanks he had seen.

Well, there was one instance reported of Patton ordering a lieutenant to get in a jeep and "Drive down that road until you get blown up and then report back to me!"

I do not, however, argue that that justifies its constant use in CM games.

Jeeps were used for recon, but my understanding is that they were not expected to drive into the teeth of certain armed oppostion, which is inevitably the case on the CM battlefield. We know that the enemy is there and prepared to repel an attack. Essentially, contact has already been made, even if we do not know the exact disposition of the opposing forces. This is not the kind of recon that jeeps and motorcycles were engaged in. They were to be used in fluid situations where the whereabouts of the enemy was unknown, often in the rear of the enemy. Essentially, their job was to find undefended routes of advance for exploiting forces.

Michael

Originally posted by manchildstein II:

the german 1941 'to&e' has motorcycle battalions integral to most if not all of the division-sized formations...

The Panzer divisions and maybe the motorized divisions. The infantry divisions, which formed the great bulk of the Heer, did not get them.

Michael

Originally posted by eichenbaum:

Strange ideas you have there.

You don't have to reflect your psychomimetic visions of incestual situations to me. That your sister didn't paid attention to you in your childhood is not the issue here. Looks like you're having a sister-mounts-anything-but-me-syndrome. Do you get angry if you hear or read the word Horse ?

Touché, you little monster. ;)

I see that 'enclosed trucks' are still on the list. Is this something that could simply be handled by Modders? Has this not been done because modding trucks isn't as dramatic as tanks?

Also, Eichenbaum, is your interest in the enclosed trucks thing simply the look of the thing, or is the intent for transport that would make it harder under fog of war to tell whether they were carrying troops?

[ August 15, 2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by eichenbaum:

Strange ideas you have there.

You don't have to reflect your psychomimetic visions of incestual situations to me. That your sister didn't paid attention to you in your childhood is not the issue here. Looks like you're having a sister-mounts-anything-but-me-syndrome. Do you get angry if you hear or read the word Horse ?

Touché, you little monster. ;) </font>

I really want to help you out. Maybe we can talk about it ?

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you see this picture ?

<center> 3702c.jpg</center>

Hmm. It's beginning to be: 'Don't poke the Dutch guy with a stick anymore...'

Congratulations on a truly disturbing image...

Originally posted by Seanachai:

I see that 'enclosed trucks' are still on the list. Is this something that could simply be handled by Modders? Has this not been done because modding trucks isn't as dramatic as tanks?

Also, Eichenbaum, is your interest in the enclosed trucks thing simply the look of the thing, or is the intent for transport that would make it harder under fog of war to tell whether they were carrying troops?

Closed trucks keep their cargo invisible. The enemy couldn't tell if it's food, ammuntion, soldiers or just empty (for CM just soldiers or empty)

You could mod the original truck but that gives 2 problems : 1. The top still stays open 2. The parameters aren't changed so the cargo will stay visible.

Closed trucks keep their cargo invisible. The enemy couldn't tell if it's food, ammuntion, soldiers or just empty (for CM just soldiers or empty)

Aren't you just going to kill them all anyway?

<HR><table width="80%" border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2"><tr> <td width="10%"><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox" value="checkbox" disabled></div></td><td width="90%"><s>Horses (with or without wagons)</s></td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox2" value="checkbox" disabled></div></td><td><s>Motorcycles</s> :( </td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox3" value="checkbox" disabled></div></td><td><s>Bicycles</s></td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox43" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Antitank objects (Concrete Pillars, Steel Crosses etc..)</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox42" value="checkbox" disabled></div></td><td><s>Bulldozers</s></td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox4" value="checkbox" ></div></td><td>Closed trucks (with canvas)</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox5" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Train Station</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox6" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>2 meters tall stone walls</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"> <input type="checkbox" name="checkbox7" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Telephone poles</td></tr><tr> <td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox8" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Stairs for slopes</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox9" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Dirt tiles</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox102" value="checkbox" checked></div></td><td>Abby's / Cloisters</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox103" value="checkbox"></div></td><td>A Real dropping of paratroopers (falling out of the sky)</td></tr><tr><td><div align="center"> <input type="checkbox" name="checkbox10" value="checkbox"></div></td><td>On map artillery (for use with target referention points)</td></tr></table><HR>

Originally posted by Lars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by eichenbaum:

Aren't you just going to kill them all anyway? </font>

When Monty made an attack on Rommel in North Afrika British tanks were covered with metal frame and canvas that looked like a regular truck. This way Monty could maneuver his tanks in the open desert and the Germans left those alone.

It's always about giving up your hidden positions when you're in doubt to blow up the enemy's trucks or not. If it's an empty truck I certainly would not shoot with a gun that was hidden all the time.

<table width="80%" border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">

<tr><td><div align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="checkbox4" value="checkbox" checked></div checked></td><td>Closed trucks (with canvas)</td></tr></table>

[ August 15, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]

When Monty made an attack on Rommel in North Afrika British tanks were covered with metal frame and canvas that looked like a regular truck. This way Monty could maneuver his tanks in the open desert and the Germans left those alone.

It's always about giving up your hidden positions when you're in doubt to blow up the enemy's trucks or not. If it's an empty truck I certainly would not shoot with a gun that was hidden all the time.

Sounds like you want a covered tank. tongue.gif

Really, what does this minor improvement accomplish? By the time I've I.D.'d the trucks enough to figure out whether or not they're carrying troops, the Arty is already well on its way.

Give me a convoy command instead.