Tanks are very poor at hitting a target

I happen to have a save of two tanks shooting at each other, one on either side of a small rise. Both of them are spudding their rounds into the rise. Later on, the German tank (the Sov one is eventually KO'd by someone else) shoots at some infantry further back beyond the same rise, and again spuds them in short. Will send files to Matt.

Regards

JonS

I'll chime in as well. I'm playing a game in which my PBEM opponent has an AT gun behind a railway embankment. I've got 6 tanks/spg's with LOS to it (30% to 70% exposure). The front of the embankment has been hit with approximately 100 rounds. NOTHING has hit the gun. Doesn't seem correct.

Ken

Thought I'd resurrect this thread since it appears to me that tanks are still firing short, post 1.02. What happened last night in a QB against the AI: I had targeted a light building with an ISU 122... he fired and hit the ground well short of target for a whole turn although on the next turn from memory he blew up the building with one shot. In same game, a Panther was targeting my AT team in some woods... his shots too struck the ground for a whole turn, landing about midway between his position and the target ... needless to say, I ordered my guy outta there.

This type of behaviour seems unrealistic to me and more importantly, it also appears to be the same sort of thing that was happening in the earlier patch.

BFC, please do somefink!

[ March 04, 2003, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: Mick_Oz ]

Originally posted by Ant:

Is this sort of thing only happening when you manually target? I pretty much always leave the AI in charge of picking up it's own targets, and I can't recall seeing this.

--

In my case, I had manually targeted. But as I said, it also occurred with AI targetting my infantry...

Still hoping for some clarification etc ... BFC?

i've seen this before. my tanks wasting HE on dug in troops or AT guns. in one campaign battle - sorry, can't recall the name - i was playing the germans against US AB who had lots of jeeps... i think outside nijmegen, guarding a crossroads, waiting for relief from the british XXXth corps who arrived in the last quarter of the game.

anyway, i remember wasting a lot of my pumas HE ammo trying to hit US dug in snipers near the crossroads. eventually i brought my pzgren forward and flushed them out and occupied their positions. some time later, the british shermans seemed to have no problem blasting my guys out of those same trenches/foxholes from the same positions my pumas and 251 75mm stubs were in.

maybe this is a game balance thing?

thanks

das