T-34 effective range

It seems to me that just recently on the History Channel I saw a bunch of ex T-34 tankers from WWII stating that the only drawback to the T-34 was that they had to wait till the target was within 800 meters to be effective???

That doesn't seem to be the case in CMBB ( I have had NUMEROUS assets destroyed at over 1100 meters).

[ August 17, 2003, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Jim Harrison ]

It is almost a constant in simulations (games if you will) that things perform more like they should have rather than they actually did.

CMBB Panther A's don't explode from engine fires but they did in real life.

The tankers were probably refering to a general rule of thumb that they settled on from experience rather than absolute limitations of the vehicle itself.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

CMBB Panther A's don't explode from engine fires but they did in real life.

Errr they stopped the engine fire/explosions with modifications in the D2 version of the Panther.

The A and G never really had this problem. Even in the Fire prone D1 "Kursk specials" the automatic fire extinguisher stopped it short of explosions. Also in a report dealing with the units exp 5 to 17 July 1943 only 3 D1 Panthers were lost to fires during the Kursk operations (1995 Jentz). Many more Panthers D1 were lost to mines 40.

[ August 17, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Bastables ]

"Effective range" is a misnormer, an abusive term by people who prefer to see the world black and white.

For starters it is situation dependent, and then it is "taste" - dependent. So at one range you get 33% hit probablity and 50% knockout-onhit probability? Is that effective? Is that good enough for you? That depends on a lot of factors. The same probablities may be regarded "good enough" (= effective) or not.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

My bad, I meant D (forgot that they gave the first model a late letter). Bit of hyperbole on my part.

Reminds me that I'm sure I knew, at one point in my life why that the Panther went D1, D2, A, G, F as opposed to a more logical alphabetical order. But for some reason Presque vu seems to have covered that part of my memory. I mean I can remember a whole load of other "worthless" information or where to find it, but this just escapes me for some reason.