quick battle setup

Ok, here are my tips for keeping the game "edible".

Force mix: combined arms

Battle type: probe or attack.

Purchase points: 800 - 1200

Map size: medium

Weather: Anything but snow or fog.

Time: Anything but night.

You'll probably find the most balanced matches around late 1943 to late 1944. Before that, one side usually has a frustrating advantage. In the beginning of the war, Soviet steamrollers are invincible to all but the most courageous infantry assaults. And before 1943, Soviet tanks are constantly mauled by German Stugs that have both a seemingly impregnable front armor, and a highly more accurate and deadly gun. And don't even get me started with the krauts packing Tigers before the Soviets get their 85mm tank guns to the field.

If you have further problems, we can answer.

If you want to cut down on the curse of constantly getting killed by the AI at long range (open steppe fighting can be tough after '43) I suggest you try playing in snow or rain, or more dramatically - in thick fog at dawn! There's nothing much more exciting than a tank you weren't aware of suddenly appearing 150m ahead of you!

[ December 03, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

As for tank match-ups, Germans get 80mm front StuG in June 1942, May 1942 is a date when the Germans have StuG's & Pz-IV's capable of killing KV's yet the StuG's & Pz-IV's are still killable by T-34's & KV's.

But it's worthwhile trying other settings too, such as infantry or mechanized. Heavy woods (or a forested premade map) also limits the omnipotency of tanks.

Of course, when you have access to the hundreds of scenarios in the Scenario Depot, I think you have a good chance of finding some fair match-up's from there as well.