What was a division? How was it used?

Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

Thanks Dorosh I was thinking it was something along those lines. 3 Coy x 3 Pltn x 4 HMGs makes a British and Commonwealth Division equal to the number of HMGs in a German Regiment! 36 HMGs for 9 Infantry Btlns (named Rgmts) as aposed to 108 HMGs for 9 Btlns all up. This is scewed further by the fact that the Brit and Commo Inf Btlns usually had 4 Coys of 3 Pltns, while the German Divns were 3 Rgmts x 3 Btlns x 3 Coys x 3 Pltns. Thus this essentially means that for the Brit and Commo Infantry the ratio is a case of 1 HMG per Inf Coy!

I had been assuming a higher ratio in my force compositions, say 48 (4 Coys x 3 Pltns x 4 HMGs) or 64 (4 Coys x 4 Pltns x 4 HMGs), not that I had any info except that each (H)MG Btln was likely to have 4 Coys.

I am now confused about the number of 3 inch mortors in these Divisions. Anyone know for sure and that the TO&E of MG Btlns stayed the same throughout the War and during the CMAK time period?

You can read this thread for further info.

On the 3" mortar, I do believe the correct number is not 42, but 54 (6 per bn x 3 bn x3 rgts), which is quite shocking, considering they were British. But what do I know? Ask John.

All the best

Andreas

Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

I am now confused about the number of 3 inch mortors in these Divisions. Anyone know for sure and that the TO&E of MG Btlns stayed the same throughout the War and during the CMAK time period?

Each infantry battalion had a mortar platoon of 6 mortars. Nine (rifle) battalions means 54 mortars.

The MG Battalions weren't even called that for the entire war; there is a 1942 org chart at www.canadiansoldiers.com that lists only MGs, no 4.2" mortars. When the mortars were added (1943?) they were retitled Support Battalions.

1942 Infantry Division with MG Battalion

Note the preponderance of Anti-Aircraft platoons, in infantry (rifle) and infantry (machine gun) battalions. They were deleted mid-war, at about the same time (?) that Support Companies were created within the infantry battalions. The mortars were relocated from Headquarters Company to the new Support Company. Oddly enough, the reorganization of the infantry battalions did not include the addition of heavy machineguns.