Building your Own Sherman - AWTWWFanatics Part II

Guys, this is seriously funny....

And we Thought we were Fanatics Part II

Building your own Sherman Tank (1/5 scale)

http://www.gizmology.net/tanks.htm

tank11.jpg

Quote:

"The track is modeled after the T-41 track used on the Shermans late in the war. (Okay, it's actually modeled after my watch band, but don't tell anyone.) Each track link consists of a pad, two links, four screws, and a bell (the thing on the inside of the track that keeps the bogies "on track".) Building the track is tedious as hell, as each link requires:

* three cuts on the table saw,

* five cuts on the band saw,

* eight holes drilled on the drill press,

* four corners rounded on my home-made disk sander,

* four 2" wallboard screws driven, and

* one glued surface.

It takes about ten minutes per link, even though I'm doing them in batches - all the drill press work at once, for example - to make it go faster! I need 70 links, plus a few extras. And worst of all, I'm not entirely sure a wooden track will be strong enough - I may end up having to start over again with something stronger."

tank04.jpg

Yeah, that would be me. Web page is in my profile, but hasn't been updated in quite a while. Gpig, tracks for the Tiger are a bit more complicated, but I'll be using pressure treated deck boards. And I have to make almost 200 pieces.

Originally posted by laxx:

Guys, this is seriously funny....

And we Thought we were Fanatics Part II

Building your own Sherman Tank (1/5 scale)

http://www.gizmology.net/tanks.htm

tank11.jpg

Quote:

"The track is modeled after the T-41 track used on the Shermans late in the war. (Okay, it's actually modeled after my watch band, but don't tell anyone.) Each track link consists of a pad, two links, four screws, and a bell (the thing on the inside of the track that keeps the bogies "on track".) Building the track is tedious as hell, as each link requires:

* three cuts on the table saw,

* five cuts on the band saw,

* eight holes drilled on the drill press,

* four corners rounded on my home-made disk sander,

* four 2" wallboard screws driven, and

* one glued surface.

It takes about ten minutes per link, even though I'm doing them in batches - all the drill press work at once, for example - to make it go faster! I need 70 links, plus a few extras. And worst of all, I'm not entirely sure a wooden track will be strong enough - I may end up having to start over again with something stronger."

tank04.jpg