Sniper Issue?

I am in the early stages of a large PBEM match (88+ turn Axis Attack) Here's what happened.

My Crack (Sov) sniper had moved forward from opening position onto a wooded hilltop. Spotted some Axis squads sneaking around the flank so I snuck my Sniper back down the hill a bit to get a better angle (Tall Pines).

Run turn. Nothing in site. fine.

Plan moves next turn. Nothing in site. Fine.

Run turn. Even before hitting play - German squad (unidentified) is now seen within 12 metres. Oh Crap! Luckily no one shoots. So now to plan my next moves. Do I retreat slowly and risk being seen/shot in the arse or try something else? I decide that this is probably an arty spotter so lets give them the good news. Only 12 m and I have a crack shot. So I tell the bugger to open up.

Only get small arms fire (didn't realize this was available to a sniper). German unit keeps ducking but no casualties that I can tell. Turn ends.

Well now I must be spotted so I carry on next turn. Same as before. Okay fine - guy must be at least suppressed, might as well move in. Move up to 4 m still shooting - same result.

Well bugger this, I tell the sniper to go right on top of these clowns shooting all the way. Gets to 1 m still no effect but finally Ids the squad as a Tank Hunter Team 2 X MP40. They finally say enough is enough and hose my poor sniper.

I asked my opponent about this and he had no idea where the fire was coming from until the last turn (my last advance) when he got sound contact at 4 m and positive ID at 1 m.

So my question finally, any ideas why the sniper did not use his Draganov rifle?

And with tactics like these, do you think I'll win?? :D

Andrew

Snipers will not voluntarily fire at all at enemies within about 100m. They rightly think it may give away their own position. Snipers are not Rambos waylaying people with knives and their teeth. They are long ranged fighters who don't want to be anywhere near their prey.

The right thing to do with your sniper was to hide, immediately, and wait for enemies to leave the area. After they left, you might reposition using "sneak", to get LOS to some distant target from whatever side of your woods or hill seemed best. Then you might come off "hide". Without targeting anyone. Let the sniper decide if he has a worthwhile shot.

If you force a sniper to fire inside that range, he is defending himself like a schreck or mortar team, with his "organic" small arms firepower. Which is piddly, and makes no use of his sniping skills. Which at 4m is entirely realistic. You don't deserve the sniper attack's power without the stealth that makes it effective.

Part of the modeled fire effect of a sniper is the fear generated by a high powered round from an unseen and distant source. When you don't know where it came from you don't know what constitutes "cover" in the right direction, who might get hit next, etc. This tends to persuade people to hit the deck until they know something. Thus the suppression from a sharpshooter attack in the game is considerably higher than an ordinary riflemen. At 4m, he is just another grunt.

Well said Jason.

Yeah, you should have gave him the hide command in that situation. They can definitely hide the best in the game. Odds are that the TH team would have strolled right on by him. Even a 10 man infantry squad probably wouldn't have spotted him. Unless of course they park right on top of him for a turn or two.

One remark, they are sharpshooters, not snipers.

AFAIK they have normal rifles,without scopes, but they are excellent shots and are very good in spotting and shooting up tank commanders like the crack sharpshooter in the CMAK demo proved ( i think i lost 4 or 5 tankcommanders )

Monty