Question about hills...

I believe that most hills are numbered for their height in meters. (above sea level?) At least, that's been the case for all of them I can remember! :confused:

I think you always see 3 digits because anything less is not much of a hill (except in Holland) and anything more is, well, more of a mountain and probably already has a real name.

(edited for content, spelling)

[ August 15, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: IntelWeenie ]

U.S. maps tend to number in feet. But yes it is possible for two hills to have the same "name" but it is very unusual.

Actually not all hills even get a number. It seems to be only the ones that really dominate the terrain around them. I've seen lots of maps with two hills of about the same height but only one of them will have a number.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

U.S. maps tend to number in feet. But yes it is possible for two hills to have the same "name" but it is very unusual.

Finally a subject I know something about. I worked for the Defense Mapping Agency from 1974 through 1994 as a cartographer. Maps for the US Army have the elevations in meters. We would only show the elevation of the highest hill in an area, which depended on the scale of the map. Trust me, there are many, many, many peaks with four digit elevations. Since these mountains are at very high elevations, there haven't been many opportunities to hear them designated by number in war movies. Also, many of them do have names. There are also "peaks" with two digit elevations, and even single digit elevations, in particularly low-lying areas. The Florida Keys are a good example.

The reason for the standard three-digit designation is that it covers the range of the entire Earth between 100 meters (328 feet) and 999 meters (3,277 feet) above sea level. Most of the populated dry land falls into that range.

Map grog!!! :eek: :eek:

[ August 15, 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Dave H ]

Originally posted by Dave H:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Finally a subject I know something about. I worked for the Defense Mapping Agency from 1974 through 1994 as a cartographer. Maps for the US Army have the elevations in meters. We would only show the elevation of the highest hill in an area, which depended on the scale of the map. Trust me, there are many, many, many peaks with four digit elevations. Since these mountains are at very high elevations, there haven't been many opportunities to hear them designated by number in war movies. Also, many of them do have names. There are also "peaks" with two digit elevations, and even single digit elevations, in particularly low-lying areas. The Florida Keys are a good example.

The reason for the standard three-digit designation is that it covers the range of the entire Earth between 100 meters (328 feet) and 999 meters (3,277 feet) above sea level. Most of the populated dry land falls into that range.

Map grog!!! :eek: :eek: </font>