Tank Blocking LOS

CMBO, I'm viewing the movie, I click on an Axis Gun? to see what he is firing at. The thick red line goes to my Allied infantry squad. An AVRE motors along in front of the troops. The red line gets thin as the tank moves across the LOS of the gun. Then the line disappears. Turn ends.

CMBO only?

I've never seen it in CMBB. I've even done some experimenting to see if infantry can hide behind tanks. The exposure numbers for the infantry was the same whether they were in the open or behind a tank, which leads me to believe there is no impact on LOS or cover from tanks. (Contrary to what the Strategy Guide tells you). But, I wish there were. How many old photos have we seen with a squad of infantry crouched down behind a tank as it moves forward? Seems like it was a fairly common practice. I know that's where I'd be.

In my early daze of CMBBing I lost many squads "hiding behind" tanks. In CM tanks are defined a point in space. The only time they block LOS/LOF for infantry is when they are flaming and generating smoke. I'd like to see a screeney in your CMBO game.

I've read on defense the Russians would dig in and place MGs under knocked out tanks. Instant overhead protection.

Hopefully tanks will block small arms LOF in CM2X.

junk2drive,

I'm pretty sure that you experienced a coincidence. I've been playing CM since the CMBO beta demo, and it has always been clearly stated by the designers that vehicles do not block line of sight. (Of course buring vehicles do, but that's the smoke, not the vehicle.)

Perhaps the axis gun switched to targeting the tank instead of the infantry.

Originally posted by The Colonel:

The exposure numbers for the infantry was the same whether they were in the open or behind a tank, which leads me to believe there is no impact on LOS or cover from tanks.

These 'exposure numbers' is there somewhere in the game that you get these or is this something you've gotten out of the strategy guide?

The best way to get them is to use the scenario editor and open up any scenario. Then go to map editor and map preview. While your on the preview map you can move both sides forces around into different terrain. Then set an opposing force unit nearby and use the LOS tool. It will display the relative exposure of any unit you hold the cursor over. You can learn alot about how the game thinks by messing around with this. Somebody also put together a table that I can email you on all the exposure numbers.