Modern Wargames [OT]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

TacOps on BFC's webpage sounds like so much fun it's too bad (for me) it's PC-only.

Didn't I read somewhere the Marines are using a variant of the game to train their own troops? That's high praise indeed!

It is Mac and PC.

The Army armor school in Ft. Know uses it for a long time now, the Marines recently got it, too. I think the Australians and Canadians, too, or were prospects (didn't keep track).

Note however that they do something else than the CPX crowd. They don't do fair tactical fights. From what I understand they mostly train large-units movement and coordination, with much fewer unit markers per player than the hobbyists and much less microtinckering.

If you head over to the actual TacOps forum you can get all this stuff live and in colour.

BTW, here is a review of TacOps 4.x for CM players:

http://schlepper.hanse.de/redwolf/tacops-for-cmplayers.html

[ May 13, 2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Originally posted by Killjoy12:

BTW, does it have something similar to QB? or is it scenario-based only?

There is no automatic map generator.

It is however extremly easy to change your forces on the fly. In TacOps you can add and remove units at any time when the umpire tools are activated. People often start a game by choosing a map and one of the "Custom" scenarios which have no units initially but there is a menu where you can choose relaitic larger units from and another one to add whatever single unit you want. Each one gets himself what was agreed on and off they go.

TacOps is not very cheat-proof, although I think it would be impossible to hide unallowed units from showing up in the game result screen at the end.

The TacOps community also sets up battles for player pairs that request it.