Why can't some arty spotters embark? (plus another Q)

Originally posted by GrouchoMarxist:

Sorry if this has been dealt with before, but what is the reason that I can't get (for instance) 81mm mortar spotters to ride on anything.

Is this by accident or design, and if design, why?

Second Q: how often does autosave happen?

1)They have to have a radio to embark

2)Not certain,but i think at either the start of each turn,or the end when you hit "done"

Sorry if this has been dealt with before, but what is the reason that I can't get (for instance) 81mm mortar spotters to ride on anything.

Is this by accident or design, and if design, why?

If it is not a radio spotter they cannot embark. I think this is because they use telephones which are attached by, obviously, telephone cable to their battery in the rear.

They have to lay the cable where ever they go.

Second Q: how often does autosave happen?

I believe this should be in your manual.

smile.gif

EDIT: actually, all of this should be in the manual. You should consult it. There is no other game with a better manual, so take advantage. And if you don't have a manual, then, well...

[ May 10, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: V ]

EDIT: actually, all of this should be in the manual. You should consult it. There is no other game with a better manual, so take advantage. And if you don't have a manual, then, well...

This is, to its undying credit, a very complex game.

And while there may be no game with a better manual, there ARE definitely game manuals with better indexes (indeces, or whatever the plural is). Not wanting to start a holy war, it's just the way that it is. (And yes, I have d/l'd the index provided here, but I still can't always find what I want.)

I did find the bit about spotters with radios vs. telephones, but it didn't categorically say that those with telephones couldn't embark. Reading again it is kind of implicit, but I think possible to brush over without realising.

As for the autosave bit, I honestly can't find it.

EDIT:

I did find the bit about spotters with radios vs. telephones, but it didn't categorically say that those with telephones couldn't embark.
Actually, it does....later on in the Ostfront chapter. Last comment in the Artillery section.

Not wanting to press the issue, but a good example of how things can ellude you in the minute detail of this game and navigating the manual. That's not so much a complaint as it is a statement of fact. Kind of like grappling with Photoshop. The enormity can be daunting, but the results are worth it.

[ May 11, 2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: GrouchoMarxist ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

This is, to its undying credit, a very complex game.

And while there may be no game with a better manual, there ARE definitely game manuals with better indexes (indeces, or whatever the plural is). Not wanting to start a holy war, it's just the way that it is. (And yes, I have d/l'd the index provided here, but I still can't always find what I want.)

I did find the bit about spotters with radios vs. telephones, but it didn't categorically say that those with telephones couldn't embark. Reading again it is kind of implicit, but I think possible to brush over without realising.

As for the autosave bit, I honestly can't find it.

EDIT:

I did find the bit about spotters with radios vs. telephones, but it didn't categorically say that those with telephones couldn't embark.
Actually, it does....later on in the Ostfront chapter. Last comment in the Artillery section.

Not wanting to press the issue, but a good example of how things can ellude you in the minute detail of this game and navigating the manual. That's not so much a complaint as it is a statement of fact. Kind of like grappling with Photoshop. The enormity can be daunting, but the results are worth it. </font>

Originally posted by markshot:

Can embarked FOs call in fire?

Thanks.

Not really. You can call a mission, embark the FO, drive around with him, disembark, and the fire mission timer will start up from where it left off. I did a report on this a month ago or so, it is under Tips and tricks with title "benefit of radio spotter over wire" or something like that.