New game: Squad Assault - West Front - CM is about to have a run for it's money!

I looks like Combat Mission is about to have run for it's money for the first time. Matrix games is developing a new 3D tatical/startegical wargame that seems to follow the same gameplay style that CM features and it has a dynamic campaing system.

I don't know if anyone has heard of this one before but it's completely new to me.

I guess it was only a matter of time before someone picked up the ideat CM started tryed to at least copy it. Still the inclusion of a dynamic campaing system is more than welcome. I guess we have to wait and see what comes out of it.

For me the lack of a dynamic campaing system has always been CM "Aquiles heel". I wonder if the new CM game in North Africa will have one?

Squad Assault Official Homepage

Here are some screenshots:

A Panther

EYSA-Panther.jpg

German Soldiers EYSA-Para_02.jpg

A King Tiger and a destroyed Jagpanther

EYSA-KT_JP.jpg

King Tiger on a Bridge with soldiers

EYSA-KingTiger.jpg

Campaing Briefing

July-04-03.jpg

Mission Selection screen

EYSA-ScenarioSelection.jpg

[ July 15, 2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Incoming9000 ]

I have been following this game since the GI Combat disaster. I DLed the demo, and said forget it. I doubt that this will supplant CM but if it's decent enough, it may afford a decent change of pace. The scale is a lot smaller--you actually control individual soldiers of each squad. However, I just am not yet completely sold on the engine and graphics. Plus, a lot of the screen is eaten up by game related data. My question, do I buy this (slated to come out soon), or just wait for CMAK AND BATTLEFIELD COMMAND?

I am yearning to return to the European battlefield, but can't seem to take the step down in quality from BB to BO. CMBB has me spoiled.

EYSA is also designed to be "mod friendly", so that is something to consider, plus there are additional modules (theaters) to follow. I'll probably sit back and await the reviews. Every gamer, I believe,is always waiting for the "next best thing". CM will still be hard to top. If you want to follow the game, you should visit Matrix Games website, then enter the Squad Assault Forum. Compared to the BFC Forum, it's a weak sister.

I figure I'll allow others to take the gamble, then jump on the bandwagon if it is indeed good. I'm leaning towards waiting for CMAK and then see if Battlefield Command lives up to its really cool Downloadable trailer. From looking at the trailer, it is designed to play like a movie. Too good to be true?

They seem to stick to their intention of not publishing a demo of Squad Assault ... and my wallet, therefore, remains stuck in my pocket!!

This is kinda sad, because I appear to be the target audience (3 Close Combat games, 2 CM games bought).

Regards,

Thomm