Attention tournament lovers: Nabla system manual now available

The Nabla system has become the de facto -standard in solving the non-trivial task of scheduling and scoring tournaments. The system generates schedules which are as optimal as possible, can handle unbalanced games, and also provides solutions to issues such as balancing the importance of different scenarios and determining the relative importance of big vs. small victories. The system itself consists of a set principles and an implementation of these principles in software.

Due to the widespread use of the system we (i.e., I and Treeburst155) decided to write a manual describing the principles of the system and the use of the software. The manual can now be downloaded here. I suggest that you print the document rather than try to read it on screen.

Have fun!

Nabla & Treeburst155

Cool stuff.

On a related note, did you and Treeburst came to a conclusion about the unown flags issue?

For the old scoring system we decided the points for neutrals flags are split. However, CMBB results already have them parted as the other results are, i.e. not what we decided we want. Any idea whether we want to reintroduce our scheme manually?

As a first impression I must say that I'm not too fond of the idea of a proportional split.

Let's say we have a scenario with a nasty armor fight and a flag that's really difficult to keep, at least when the other party still has tanks available. Both parties try to maneuver so that they can knock each others tanks out. Now let's say that player A knocks player B's tank out, and that the score is now 15-5 for him.

After this all the pressure on making the next move is on B, because the end result after proportional split will be 75-25 if he can't improve the situation. Let's say both parties now have a chance to commit to a fifty-fifty duel with tanks. If A wins the duel, the score will be 25-5. If B wins it, the score will be 15-15. This means that the final end results after split in these two cases would be 83-17 and 50-50, respectively. So A can only improve his score by 8 in that situation, while his score can drop by 25 points. For B the situation is the opposite. So I don't think A would be interested in anything like that, while B certainly would.

So a scheme like this can cause heavily asymmetric risk seeking and risk avoiding behaviour in the players. To put it another way, very different types of play styles are rewarded by the scoring system for the two different sides.

This is of course just one example. Have you seen any other discussions about this issue on the board?

EDIT: I also have to admit that I would need the equation which gives the CM score (the one that includes flags and forces) before I can analyze this further. I just don't remember how the flags, destroyed forces and remaining forces affect the score. I haven't got the manual here (I'm not even sure whether the equation is in the manual), but I've seen it on the board and on some web pages. I'll try to find it, but in case you remember where it is could you please tell me.

EDIT2: Ok, found it. Using this notation

pa = total points of allied casualties (allies captured count double their casualty value)

pg = total points of german casualties (germans captured cout double their casualty value)

f = total value of flags

fa = point value of flags controlled by allies

fg = point value of flags controlled by germans

a = allied score

g = german score

The formulas are

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">

( pg + fa )

a = ---------------

( pa + pg + f )

( pa + fg )

g = ---------------

(pa + pg + f )</pre>