Hide Vehicle Command

What does the Hide Vehicle Command do in CMBB ? What effect does it have in the set-up, and what effect does it have when put on the end of a move order? And what exactly does it represent? (And why doesn't my CMBB manual have an index).

Hide orders for infantry and anti-tank guns are pretty obvious. You hit the dirt, you move and hit the dirt, or you hold your breath and keep your head down.

What is the equivalent for a vehicle? Go into EMCON by turning your engine off so he doesn't hear the noise and smell the fumes?

Philippe - there is an index for the CMBB manual you candownload in PDF format. I am too lazy to look for the link myself now tongue.gif , but you should find it in the CMBB section of the website under downloads I think.

The hide order for vehicles makes it harder to detect as sound contact (i.e. the engine is turned off as you say), and it also assumes ad-hoc camouflage. Now the latter is only useful when you don't leave the vehicle standing in open ground, of course. You can't make a tank disappear. But when put in, say, scattered trees or in a spot with low exposure towards the observing enemy, the chances that it won't be detected increase.

Martin

Many thanks. The Index is in the Downloads section at the bottom of the part devoted to CMBB. Now I just need to find my ruler so I can figure out how big the US CDV manual pages are, and remember how to print the Index so that it fits in the back.

In a former life I had a professor who maintained that the usefulness of a book depended on the quality of the index. Had to take him seriously because he was my thesis advisor, so for many years whenever I read a new book I started with the index, then the footnotes, then looked at the text. My favorite index was in the back of Fraenkel's Horace, which had an entry that read "Wolves, postman eaten by". Particularly striking because there are no postmen in Horace, though very useful if you're interested in Dante (I'm not making this up). I'm always a bit dissapointed by prosaic indices.

Not sure that it makes sense lavishing attention on the index of a computer game manual given the number of people who will use it, but it is nice to have. Thanks for posting it.