CMBB Spec Ed vs. CMBB

Originally posted by Elefant:

I absolutely love CMBB, CMBO etc. and saw CMBB special edition for $20 tonight. Are the extra scenarios and the 200 mods worth it? Will their be conflict issues with CMMOS? Uh basically, will my cmbb experience be enhanced greatly with special ed, or should I stick to CMBB?

I have the special edition. You can get the extra scenarios online. As far as modding, I do very little, so that disk wouldn't be worth it to me. I don't know which mods are on it, but I would think you could get many of them online, too. I recommend that you not get it.

If you use mods and don't already have CMBB mods downloaded, calculate how much time it would take to download the CD full of mods the special edition gives you, especially if you have a dial-up. It's worth buying for that reason alone even if you already have CMBB.

Scenarios take almost no time to download, and it is not a bad idea to look at them first. So though there is a time saving there, it is not really a useful one.

The special edition comes with CMMOS 4.03, many CMMOS mods, and many non-CMMOS mods. Many of the non-CMMOS mods can be found on CMHQ, and to get the full final CMMOS 4.03 configuration you'll still need to download about a third of the material from CMHQ, including several rulesets. There are a couple of minor errors in the special edition's cmmos mods, the main one shows up on Gautrek's Dirty Russian Truck, but it's easy to fix.

I'm not sure that MikeT's latest iteration of CMMOS will have any effect on CMBB or vice versa. I suspect that if you want to use 4.05 you simply copy and paste in the CMBB material from 4.03. I don't think there was any ruleset or rule writing for CMBB (as opposed to CMBO). I can't speak with certainty on that last point, however, since I use a customized version of 4.03.