nice photos from Karelian

Karelian front or Finnish front, The front between Finland and Soviet Union during The Continuation War 1941-1944.

Continuation for Winter War 1939-1940, Finns tried get back their losed territories, which they lose because of Soviet aggression during Winter War and it's aftermath, Finns also occupied also Eastern Karelia, which never before belonged to independent Finland.

Lost territories were Hanko cape and Hanko town (part of Finland also today), Petsamo in far north, Karelia and Karelian isthmus and Viipuri second largest town in Finland after Helsinki the capital situated in Karelian isthmus

Because of invasion East Karelia United Kingdom also declared war to Finland, although it had also understanding Finnish desire to get back it's lost territories like USA had also understanding for it. UK warned Finland that if Finns cross the "old border" or invades Eastern Karelia it declares war to Finland and it declared.

USA never declared war to Finland, but it warned also Finland, that it should not keep fighting againts Soviets 1944 and it should make armistice between Soviets as soon as possible.

There was never actual fighting between Finns and British or British Commonwealth, Brits bombed Germans in Northern Finland and UK's airforce violated Finnish airspace in Far North, but there was no direct military action against Finns.

Finns declared that they just want to fight against Soviets, and they have nothing against Western allies.

By the way slavic, orthodox, czarist Bulgaria was counterpart to Finland, it was in war against Western allies but not against Soviet Union, but did not save Bulgaria, it became Soviet satellite after the war.

Because the Soviets were in Western allied side, Finns could only get help from Nazi Germany.

Finland was only democracy in German side and victim of Stalin's Soviet Union during Winter War, so it get some kind of sympathy and understanding from UK and USA.

Of course Finns were not saints, at least we were in wrong side, if we think Nazi Germany and it's concentration camp's, but we did not have much choice, Hitler or Stalin? Vasal of Germany or slave unindenpendent country of Stalin's Soviet Union.

Of course we could have choose most clever way, the way Sweden and Switzerland and be peaceful and neutral country and make profitable business with both Allies and Axis, that's why after the war Sweden and Switzerland were so relatively affluent countries and still are.

But our politicians and our people desire to get lost territories was so great and Germany seemed so powerful and Soviet Union so weak against the Germany.

We never know what would have happened if we have had decided to continue our neutral policy like in Winter War 1939-1940, could have stayed out of miserable war or would we have still slipped to the war against our own will because our proximity to Leningrad and Murmansk.

Maybe one mistake was opportunistic invasion Eastern Karelia (building of Greater Finland= SuurSuomi) same time Finland got better defence positions, but I did not could keep those defence positons because of massive onslaught of Soviet forces 1944.

Finnish independence was saved 1944 after initial collapse of the front, determined resistance of Finnish defence forces, German material (Panzerfausts, Panzerfausts, STuG III:s)and military assistance (German Stukas [Kurt Kuhlmey's Luftflotte 1] and Stug:s, Soviet diversion of it's forces against Germans, and armistice and peace between Finland and Soviet Union.

Eastern Karelia was definetely and legally part of Soviet Union, although it's population was Karelian finno-ugric people, Karelian language is very close to Finnish language, it's quit easy to understand Karelian for a Finn.

Finland was in very difficult and severe situation in those times.

After the war, we finns had maybe little bit of odd view of the war, we were ashamed that we were in Nazi Germany's side, but still we were proud and still are proud of our defence forces and our war veteran's which saved our country's independence second time 1944, previous time was Winter War 1939-1940.

PS. Nice pictures, but where is the pictures of major enemy in Karelian front, the Finns.

taken from the site:

"A free gallery of 50 photographs taken at the Karelian Front in the period from July 1941 to November 1944. The gallery is available in the Internet as a part of The Russian Battlefiald website. Please notice, the gallery is for advertising and introducing purposes and will not be updated!"

BTW, anyone know whether smokescreen was used extensively by the russians ? I was led to believe it wasn't at all common.

[ August 06, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: laxx ]

Originally posted by laxx:

BTW, anyone know whether smokescreen was used extensively by the russians ? I was led to believe it wasn't at all common.

Have you ever seen real artillery blast away targets in dry conditions? CM doesn't model it, but in reality there's hell a lot of dust in big battles. Unless it's wet.

One Stalingrad scenario by Andreas uses fog to model the smoke and dust that was present there. It's a clever idea. But I have noticed that Germans can be quite clever in general, because they refuse to play against me. They know that I'd just beat their asses. And I'd win them in CM, too.

The Red Army use of artillery deployed smoke was not that common. Smoke screens deployed by ground means were very common.

herm.... last i checked, my 44 june boshelvik troops do not have motar with smoke rounds. the only options available were for howitzer with smoke rounds.

Tero didn't mean indirect smoke but infantry-deployed smoke charges of several kilograms carried to their destination and then triggered by pulling a rope or some such. Not present in the game.